Monday, 6 November 2017

Christmas Day (oh and my birthday)

Thanks for all the comments on my last post, seems we all feel the same.  I don't normally do current affairs posts, I don't really watch the news, but we've been bombarded with all this molestation stuff and I did feel strongly about some of it, hence the post.

Husband and I don't really 'do' Christmas, we never have - we don't have children (OH has adult kids from his first marriage, but they've never lived with us) and both of us come from families who don't celebrate Christmas, for religious reasons - we don't follow their faith but, having grown up not celebrating Christmas, we've never felt the need to either.  I do usually cook a roast dinner (not turkey, as neither of us is keen on it) and we enjoy relaxing for a couple of days and watching lots of TV, but that's as far as it goes.  However, this year we've been toying with the idea of going out for Christmas lunch in a pub/restaurant - never have before and probably never will again, it just seemed like a nice idea, so I started looking around for places that are doing a lunch, and checking out the prices.

Well, we won't be going.  I know it's Christmas day and the venues have to pay their staff (hopefully a good rate!) for giving up their day to work - but good grief, the prices!!  What they're charging for a meal for the 2 of us would work out to pretty much a fortnight's food shopping, and I simply can't justify spending that much on ONE meal.  It seems obscene, even if it is a 3 or 4 course meal.  So that's that, it's a nice roast lunch at home for us.  At least OH won't have to drive, so he can have a couple of glasses of wine and a Scotch.

It's my birthday today, OH took me out to lunch, we had a lovely carvery meal, beef and pork with lots of nice veggies, and the bonus is I don't have to cook today.  He bought me what I asked for, a CD player/DAB radio, I'm very pleased with it.  Our only means of playing CDs, of which I have quite a lot, is on the DVD player in the lounge.  Since I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, I couldn't hear my CDs properly unless I turned it up very loud (bearing in mind my poor hearing) and I didn't want the neighbours complaining!  So it'll be lovely to be able to play them in the kitchen. 

20 comments:

  1. I have never been out to a venue for Christmas lunch, not just the cost but the hassle. When I had pubs I put on a lunch for my single customers, a gift and a thank you for their custom. I would not ask staff to work on that day although there have been many years when it was part of my normal hours. Animals still need looking after and feeding, eggs need collecting and milking has to happen. Glad that you enjoyed your birthday treat and expect to hear that you have been dancing round the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated Happy Birthday. We agree about price for Christmas lunch out, ridiculous!,

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've never been out for Xmas dinner either - the prices are just too much - at least 50-60 pounds a head where we are. Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday and enjoy your wonderful gift. Our daughter is in the hospitality trade and very little of the additional cost goes to the staff. We did it once but never again-in and out in about 90 minutes and then standing outside wondering how the meal went so quickly. DH and I will spend the day together and be thankful for our life together. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with you, would never spend that much on a meal. Happy birthday, love going out for a carvery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite right, save your money! I don't think I have ever had Christmas lunch outside home, I would never be able to do it justice anyway so would be entirely wasting the fee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, nice to read you had a good day, it's my birthday tomorrow. We recently did a family meal a full roast at home, it was much cheaper than going out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you enjoyed your birthday, can I ask which cd/radio you have please, I would love one in the kitchen, but don't know where to start. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday!

    Once out for Christmas lunch, I was heavily pregnant with our first child. Well, I missed having the bird carcass to pick over later that evening and that was that. I've cooked ever since.

    Since I became a nurse, I've worked nearly every other Christmas. Various shifts. But we've always managed a meal together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Sooze.
    So glad that you have had a nice day.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Sooze, your present sounds just perfect. I have a radio in the kitchen perma tuned to R2 but I miss belting out songs whilst I cook to my vast CD collection! Am with the others - Christmas meal at home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We went out a coupe of times for Christmas dinner but didnt consider it good value, also very noisy as there was lots of excited over tired children, when the kids all left home we started going away for christmas to get away from it all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! I love my DAB radio, I couldn't live without 6 Music.
    Xmas means nothing to us, we're atheists. It's just one day. I feel a bit sorry for people who get so carried away with it, they must have very empty lives.
    We have the Dead Relative's Society - us merry gang of orphans meet at the curry house on Xmas day, take our own booze and tuck into a spicy three course Bangladeshi feast. It costs £24.95 a head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so miss being able to go for a curry on xmas day , Scunthorpe even had a chippy open xmas day years ago , now we live in the wilds theres nowhere to go and nothing to do , other than a very Christian Xmas

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday! Nice to receive THE present you need and want and can use. No Christmas celebration here either. Just enjoy a quiet day at home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am lucky for the last 25 years I gave gone out to Christmas/Boxing day lunch and never had to do a thing. I go to my daughters one day and my sons the next alternating each year. They give me a very good day and I am fetched and taken home afterwards.
    I know lots of people who have families but would still go to a pub for there Christmas lunch - I say everyone to there own. - but I know where I would rather be. We have a lovely family day with my son and daughter plus there partners and the two grown up grand children. My daughter always buys a new board game so we have lots of fun.. Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. I forgot to wish you belated birthday wishes Sooze and so pleased you got what you wanted.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are having a Christmas alone this year and looking forward to it.. we shall have our favourite duck meal with all the trimmings, then pud (home made from last year ) and possibly titbits through the evening.. Yes I agree Christmas day meals are an astronomical price, so not for us. Why pay for something you can cook better yourself. As for birthdays out, mine is 20th December so often forgotten by even my own family, so I choose to let it go too. Dh always buys me something nice and that's all that matters to me.. Happy birthday to you. I bought Dh a CD RADIO last year for him to play cds when he is cooking in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!