Sunday, 2 July 2017

More on dieting, and car boot bargains

Thank you for the comments, once again.  We're both doing well, we've each lost a few pounds already.  Having done 3 fast days and recognising how well I feel the day after, and how much worse I feel when we've had a carb-heavy day on the non-fasting days, I am absolutely sure that cutting back drastically on carbs is the way to go.   I also wee for England the day following a fast day!  Another indication that carbs make me bloated.

Welcome to Rambler, a new follower (love your photos of Cornwall).  To answer your questions, Michael Mosley's 5:2 Fast Diet doesn't mean you eat nothing at all on the fasting days....other versions of it might, I don't really know.  I just know that starving myself for the whole day simply wouldn't work for me, OH couldn't do it either.  In his original version of it, women were allowed 500 calories on the fasting days, men 600.  However, he's updated it recently and now says that up to 800 calories can be consumed on fasting days, and it won't stop you losing weight, although I guess it may slow it a bit.  In any case, we both find it much easier to stick to, the lower amounts were much more restrictive.

You asked about tea/coffee.  On non-fast days I usually have 2 mugs of coffee and 1 or 2 of tea, husband drinks several mugs of tea and perhaps 1 coffee.  I drink lots of water, he has no added sugar squash if he's working in the garden.  On fasting days I have 1 mug of coffee with milk in the morning - I couldn't start my day without a coffee....for the rest of the day I drink only water.  OH has tea first thing, followed by squash thereafter.

Yesterday we went to a car boot sale - it was absolutely packed, probably due to the lovely weather.  OH bought a vacuum cleaner for £5 - he wanted one for his shed as he does a lot of sawing and creates loads of sawdust, and I didn't want him using mine.  He also got some tools - no idea what, but he's happy!  I bought a tray of geraniums (or pelargoniums, rather) - all strong, well established healthy plants, most of them in bud - 18 plants for a fiver, brilliant.  They're going in tubs in the front garden....Betty seems to be less interested in eating all the plants now, thankfully.  It'll be good to get some more colour in the front garden.....other than the clematis, passion flower and the wall baskets of petunias and osteospermums there isn't much else currently in flower.  I've purposely not put in any other bedding plants or shrubs as Betty was chewing/trampling on everything in sight before.

It's very warm today, I'll have to get OH to put up the sunshade so I can pot up the plants under it, it's too warm for me in full sun.

2 comments:

  1. Well done on the weight loss, if I get stuck I will have a look at your diet plan. Perhaps a change of direction will surprise the metabolism into speeding up a bit. The plants were a bargain, I thought about going to a boot sale but opted for laundry and gardening instead. fingers crossed that I saved some pounds and lost some grams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the extra information on the 5:2 diet - and thanks also for the welcome. After a weekend of being fed to bursting point by my son on very naughty foods (chocolate gateau; beefburger and sausages at his barbecue . . . plus copious red wine) I shall start on my 5:2 diet tomorrow. I have filled my fridge with healthy food and intend to be very good! My son goes back home tomorrow, so no more temptation.
    Well done to both of you in losing weight already - your blog will be my inspiration (so a reason to stick to the diet!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!