Monday, 6 March 2017

Shopping cracked

I've got the shopping down to a fine art now.  We generally do it in Li*l now, I've found I prefer it to Al*i.  I can't get absolutely everything I want in there, like my Lactofree milk e.g., so nip into S*burys for the odd bits....handily, it's next door to Li*l.  About every 3 or 4 weeks we do a full shop in S*burys or Morr*ons, as obviously being bigger stores, they have a much wider range of stuff.  I now always do a menu plan and shopping list too.  Doing all this has saved us I reckon about £15 or £20 a week, which I'm really happy with.  We're also working towards going shopping less often, we've stretched it to about every 9 or 10 days now.

This morning my shopping came to about £56, but it should last us for about a fortnight.  I bought steak mince, bacon, liver and a trayful of butcher's sausages which had been reduced as short dated.....all the meat came to £9.80.  I've portioned it up for freezing, it will make a total of 13 meals for 2 bulked out with veg, pulses or grains, so working out to around 75p per double portion - bargain. 

I don't buy dog food from supermarkets.  We get it online, a 12kg sackful of dry complete food, which will last for ages, and it's delivered for free.  It's from a reputable company and is very good quality with high meat and fish content, plus vegetables, salmon oil and vitamins/minerals, with no artificial colours, flavours or E numbers.  It's not cheap, but we've done a lot of research and don't want our dog having the doggy equivalent of rubbishy fast food.  And as it's such good quality, we can feed her less of it.  So saving money on our food shop means we can afford to buy good food for Betty, we want her to have a good long healthy life.

Thank you for all the comments, I'm glad the lazy lasagne seems to be popular.  I'm all for meals that are easier or simplified versions of the originals.  If any of you have ideas for your own quicker, simpler or thriftier versions of meals, I'd love to read about them.

7 comments:

  1. We are the same, only doing a big shop for things we can't get in Lidl, we have a new store 10 mins drive away. I am always amazed at how much meat we get for little money, and the meat looks better than the big two stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aldi is very good value, we have a new Lidl opened up so I might take a look in there next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really off shopping at the minute apart from a quick top up on veg, bread and milk. Luckily we have plenty in the freezers and cupboards-x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done on your shopping savings, I do find the less time you spend going shopping the less you spend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THat is an excellent saving. It will really mount up. Could I ask what dog food you get? We currently feed ours james well beloved but our puppy seems to be hungry all the time. Where my brothers dog seem to thrive on it. thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've replied on your blog....welcome to mine, by the way.

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a well organised and well planned food budget.
    X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!