Thursday, 17 November 2016

My (not so secret) vice

I love crochet, especially in the winter, there's nothing nicer than sitting crocheting in my recliner armchair, with the lovely blanket WIP on my lap keeping my knees warm, and watching a good film.

I mainly crochet baby blankets, bed size blankets and lap throws, some for us, some as gifts.  I keep thinking about maybe trying to sell some on Etsy or ebay or at craft fairs, but just haven't got around to it.  I do fairly straightforward things now.....when I was in my teens I used to make tops or cardis, and once made a very fine cotton lace tablecloth as a present for my mother - don't have the patience for that sort of thing now.  And in any case, my eyesight's not that good anymore!

When we were away last week, I went in a lovely wool shop and bought some beautiful yarns, 3 different lots, enough to make 2 or 3 throws plus some hats with the clever Loom Knitting kit I also bought. I can't knit to save my life, but the loom knitting frames are like giant versions of those French Knitting things we used to do as children.....cotton reels with 4 nails banged into them.  Even I can manage that sort of knitting!

And I noticed yesterday that Lucy of Attic24 is going to start a new Crochet-a-long blanket in January, she's just made the wool pack available in Wool Warehouse.  I love Lucy's designs, so of course I just had to buy that as well.

OH keeps having little digs about the amount of wool I've bought, but I tell him it's all useful, it keeps me happy and occupied whilst he's at work, and at least I'm not buying clothes or shoes or unnecessary crap!

4 comments:

  1. I can't knit or crochet but a bit of hand sewing on the binding of a quilt gives me the same feeling.
    Sounds like you have lots to keep you busy.
    You have wool and I have enough fabric to stock a dress shop if I ever got it all made up into something...lol-x-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, I missed Lucy's post, thanks for the heads up, I am off shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can knit but not crochet it seems way harder than knitting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think handiwork makes us feel fulfilled in a basic way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!