Saturday, 19 November 2016

Making the meat last

I had a good look through the freezers yesterday and noted down exactly what meat we've got in there, it's more than I thought:-

1/2 a lamb (that's 16 chops, 4 joints, rolled breast, liver and kidney)
20 chicken thighs, divided into 5 packs of 4
12 pork steaks, in packs of 2
2 packs of steak mince
3 packs of back bacon
1 pack of pork mince
20 pork sausages, frozen as 4 packs of 5
1 whole organic free range chicken (bought for half price as it was on it's date)
1 small gammon joint

I'm going to set a mini challenge to see just how long I can make this meat last, without buying any more until it's all used up.  Having said that, OH has said he'd like a beef joint for Christmas, so we will be buying that.

We are big meat eaters, we do tend to eat meat most days, although I have been trying to do a veggie meal once or sometimes twice a week lately.  But there's no reason why we can't have more veg-based meals, and I'm certainly going to try using less meat in recipes, bulking the recipe out with more veg or pulses.  The pork steaks, for example, are big thick ones....we could have just half of one each with more veg.  Or I could use one diced up in a risotto or something, and with plenty of veg added that could even stretch to 2 meals for the 2 of us.

5 comments:

  1. I used to eat meat everyday but since moving here and making lots of vegetarian and vegan friends only eat is 2 or 3 times a week. I am much more adventurous and have had so much fun finding new ingredients to play with. I often make a risotto but use pearl barley as it is so creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We eat meat free twice a week, and are now looking at smaller portions of meat, as yet hubby is happy with everything, so it can't have been too bad for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully my husband loves hash, any kind so a little meat with veggies suits us fine. He likes fried eggs on top. Good luck with your meat stretching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We eat fewer and fewer red meat meals, more fish and chicken, lots of veggie meals. I think you've more meat here than we'd used in more than a year! But a good idea to take stock of what you have and then make it last. But how long can you keep meat in a freezer? Should meat not be eaten within about three months?
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of meat lol so should last you a while. I'm not sure how long I'd be happy to have that lot hanging around in the feeezer though. We do eat meat but red meat usually only a couple of times a month and chicken and fish and vegie meals the rest of the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!