Friday, 28 October 2016

Normality returns (hopefully)

Sorry for the absence, it's been a funny few weeks.  A family member with cancer, now operated on and recovering, hopefully....death of an extended family member necessitating a 10-hour round trip for the funeral....OH had a minor accident at work ending up in A&E (thankfully he was fine after a day off work)....visitors who were supposed to be staying for a couple of days, who cancelled at the last minute, which I was quite glad about as am still a bit under the weather, especially after the funeral.  It was the nicest funeral we've been to, if such a thing can be said about a funeral, but the travelling just about finished me off.  I didn't want to talk about any of this at the time and struggled to find anything else to write about, plus I didn't really feel like blogging anyhow.  When I made my last post saying I was taking a break, it really did feel like a huge relief.  If blogging/writing a diary becomes a chore, then there's not much point in doing it.

A bonus was that it gave me time to read and catch up with other blogs, something I'd neglected for a while....I even managed to start commenting again.  If people take the time and trouble to read and comment on my blog, then the least I can do is reciprocate.  I will try to ensure I keep up with the blogs on my list.

So what have we been doing recently?  Well, I guess the big news is that the landlord has told us he's not booting us out as we have always paid our rent on time.....one of the other tenants has been given notice though, sadly.  Well, that's life I suppose, when you rent privately you're at the mercy of your landlord.  It's a shame for them though as they have 3 small children and now have to find another home in the run up to Christmas.  They're hoping to get a council house, I hope they do, it'll be more stability for them.  We don't exactly feel safe here anymore, but at least we've got a reprieve for a while.

We've been busy dealing with the harvest of our autumn veg, preserving it to see us through the winter.  Most of it's been frozen - thank goodness we have a small chest freezer (given to us) as well as an under-the-counter upright in the utility room, plus a large fridge/freezer in the kitchen.  Some of the root veg I blanched, some I just chopped up small in the food processor and froze raw, to be added to soups and stews.  Some I chopped into large dice and roasted first, a bagful can be grabbed out of the freezer when I'm short of time and thrown in the oven still frozen to heat through, or it's nice cold with a blob of mayo.  The pumpkins, butternut and acorn squashes are stored in baskets in the utility room, having no heating it's always cool in there.  We have 4 net sacks full of red and white onions in there too.  We haven't enough pumpkins to last through the winter, but as there's tons in the shops for Halloween (oh how I hate that, it's just another massive excuse for the shops to try and get everyone to spend loads of money!!) and they're ridiculously cheap, we've bought a few more, as they store so well.  We have loads and loads of French beans in the freezer, they did exceptionally well this year.

That's about it really.  I've just started on another crochet blanket, I do love crocheting blankets and throws in the winter.  We have enough for our own needs, but I'm aiming to build up a stock of baby blankets and lap throws, as they make good gifts.




6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about all your troubles.
    Glad to here you can stay where you are, such a relief for you.
    Blogging shouldn't be a chore, when I feel it is getting that way I have a break as well x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for all your troubles but glad that having to move out your home now isn't one of them.
    It's great that you feel a bit more like blogging again-x-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank goodness re the house, such a relief.
    Just back from a funeral too, luckily only a couple of miles away. It was also a Good funeral, caught up with cousins who I only see now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news to hear you are safe at home, it's one less thing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for all the problems you've experienced, but hopefully they're now in the past, and it's lovely to have you back. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry for the other tenant but glad you're not being made to leave! That must make you feel very relieved. I agree with you about the blogging thing. It's supposed to be fun. For me it's like a diary, something I haven't managed to keep in 'real' life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!