Saturday, 10 September 2016

To expand a bit.....

Annie b - no you didn't offend me, not at all.  As I said, following your comments I did look into retirement housing locally and found it was all large blocks of mainly 1 bed apartments or flatlets, with shared outside space.  That's just not for us.  And our local Council will only allow us to have a 1 bed flat, so again that's not an option for us.

Some people might think 'well beggars can't be choosers' - not that anyone has said anything like that to us, they haven't.  But if we're being evicted, then surely we should take whatever is offered to us?  Well, to expand a bit further.....

Yes, husband is technically an OAP as he's 65, but he's fit and healthy and in no way regards himself as a pensioner.  And he doesn't look his age - nobody believes it on finding out his age.  He's still working as an HGV driver (albeit part time now), mainly because he doesn't feel old enough to retire!  He also feels that if he gives up work, it might have a detrimental effect on him....he worries he might then begin to feel old!  I'm 56 but certainly don't feel it...in my head I'm permanently 39.  So the idea of living in old people's accommodation fills both of us with dread - it's just not us, we're too young!

None of our family live close to us, most of them live in the Midlands, some in Cornwall, some in London.  Thus, when they come to visit, they stay with us for a few days.  So a 1-bedroom place is not an option for us.

Our garden is very important to us, we grow a lot of fruit and veg, aiming to be as self sufficient in produce as we can.....not just for financial reasons, but because we like doing it!  There's so much satisfaction in growing and eating your own food, it's not covered with pesticides or grown in artificial or unnatural ways, and it tastes so much better than shop bought.  And I love to have a pretty front garden with lots of flowers.  We spend quite a lot of time in our garden, husband more so than me, and when he does eventually retire from paid employment, he wants to spend even more time out there.  So any property we move to simply must have a garden.

But everything is so up in the air at the moment, and until or unless we get something in writing, we simply don't know what's happening.  So life goes on in the meantime.

Thank you once again for all your comments and suggestions, I really appreciate all of them.  Also, I appear to have some new followers....not sure who you are, but am happy to have you.  Sorry I haven't got anything particularly interesting to tell you though!



7 comments:

  1. I'm 65 and my husband is 61, he too loves his garden and is sad to be losing it, but needs must. He won't have a job for much longer due to changes at work. so we are having to move too, we own our house but it hasn't given us any security

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the retirement housing, my hubby is 67 and I am 48 neither of us look our age, we couldn't live without a nice garden and like to keep busy, we couldn't sit in a flat all day with just a balcony, I believe keeping busy keeps you young and fit xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is surprising what you do when confined to a small space. Me and my husband are always out walking and try to keep as active as possible. There is no way we would just sit about.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting to follow your blog and how you live in rural Somerset.

    My mum lived in Shelter housing once my dad died and it did have a lovely big garden. Sorry nothing like that is available where you are. Could you put your name on the list for an allotment?

    The idea of not being secure in my home would be very worrying to me as you mentioned that you are at the mercy of the landlord as to if you stay or go. Best wishes that things all work out for the best.

    Take care.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your reply I'm glad I did not offend you. The written word sometimes comes across as harsh. I too wondered whether an allotment would suffice as you could have a nice large shed and make it into a room to sit in with tea/coffee etc. The lady from this blog had to sell her home and was given a 2 bed housing association house
    http://frugalvintagehome.blogspot.co.uk/
    so it may be worth putting your names down for either a bungalow or small house and seeing if you may be eligible.
    I can understand Hesters comments as I too would not be able to sleep at night worrying about having to keep moving. I hope this is not the case and that you are able to stay put good luck anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to add you don't have to ask for retirement housing if you put your name down with housing associations or council. When I had to move I was asked what I wanted and I said a bungalow, I had to wait a while but was offered the one I am in now. Not sure what your area is like for housing needs. You can delete this as it is only an add on to my last comments

    ReplyDelete
  6. At 65 your hubby might have the title OAP, but it's not an age to feel old, my hubby is 67, he is retired and doing a bit of volunteering, driving a mini bus for disabled children, I'm soon to be 61 and still at work, I don't feel ready to drop out of work yet. So we understand you comments, and worries, just because there are just two of you, does not mean you should live in a tiny space, I do hope if you have to find somewhere your search reaps what you want, but I have everything crossed you stay where you love and want to be.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!