Saturday, 11 June 2016

Backache

I'm crippled with it, have been for days....erm since last Wednesday I think, the days are passing in a haze of painkillers.

I had a slipped disc as a result of playing tennis when I was about 18 or 19 (tennis!  my word, those were the days.....doing a crossword puzzle is about my level of sport now), it was treated by 3x weekly sessions of physio (torture more like) for a few months.  Ever since then I've been plagued with backache occasionally, it flares up if I've been standing in more or less one position for a while (in the kitchen doing a lot of cooking or washing up, eg), or if I've bent over to pick something up or out of a low cupboard.  Yes, I know we're supposed to bend from the knees, but honestly, who remembers?!  I've had a few more courses of physio or chiropractic over the years, plus painkillers and muscle relaxants on repeat prescription.  Haven't had any physio/chiro in the 6 years since we've lived down here, the pills have normally been enough, along with a hottie pressed on my back (the heat pad kind you warm up in the microwave, not a fit young bloke!!).  They're doing diddly squat right now though.

Sometimes, I can actually feel the disc pop out....it's a weird sensation, it's just like a kind of 'pop' in my lower back, it brings me upright with an immediate jerk and sharp intake of breath.  That's what happened last Wednesday morning...I needed to get a notebook out of the desk low cupboard, sat on the edge of the desk chair, bent over and 'pop', it went just like that.  Normally, after a couple of days' worth of Naproxen and Amitriptyline and taking things easy (no bending!) it wears off.  Not this time though, it's still total agony, my stomach muscles are constantly spasming making me gasp all the time, i'm bent over to one side and there's the constant aching pain in my lower back, no let up at all.  I'm finding it hard to sleep at night, every time I change position the jolting pain wakes me up.  Can't get comfy in ANY of the chairs in the house, be it armchairs, sofa or dining chairs.  Standing to do anything, like cooking, is agony and i'm constantly out of breath with all the gasping in agony and sharp intakes of breath.  So i'll have to ring for an emergency GP appointment Monday morning if it hasn't let up by then. 

It's taken me half an hour just to type this, as I have to keep stopping and getting up to move around a bit.  I'm fed up with my brain being addled by all the tablets, my head feels like it's stuffed with cotton wool.  Think husband is also getting fed up with me constantly looking blank and saying "what?" every time he asks me something, I feel like i'm in a permanent state of confusion.

12 comments:

  1. Oh you poor thing, backache is the very devil, as you say it stops you sleeping. I hope it eases soon. If the hottie of the type you are using isn't helping maybe a young fit bloke might help, if only to take your mind off the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poor you. I do sympathise as I have at times been plagued by back problems since slipping a disc in about 1994.
    I hope you get some relief soon.
    Take care-x-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back problems are the very worst and only look for sympathy from fellow suffers because others just don't get it. It does sound like it is time for you to get back to the doctor as soon as possible. Perhaps it is time for a A lumbar epidural steroid injection as this episode sounds severe.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the tablets just aren't doing it, that's for sure

      Delete
  4. I do feel for you. I have arthritis and now my knee and ankle, indeed all my left side of my body, is packing up. The pain is awful, isn't it, you can't think straight for it. I do hope you will feel much better soon.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am amazed at hoe coherent you are while taking Amitriptyline, I took it once and was a zombie. Severe constant pain wears you down dramatically, I hope that you get it sorted soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, the dosage the GP has specified is 1-3 tabs....I take just the 1. I did take 2 once before, they knocked me out flat and I was also a zombie until lunchtime the next day.

      Delete
  6. Honey, you know how I feel for you, sending best love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Mr Bah Humbug would say ...dont let them keep fobbing you off with painkillers and rest ask for a scan ...just in case

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!