Saturday, 14 May 2016

Lounge finished

We (that's the royal 'we', it was OH really) finished decorating the lounge Thursday morning.  I'm really pleased with it....even more pleased by the knowledge that we won't be doing it anymore!  Well, there's the twin spare bedroom and the dining room to go yet, of course, but after that it will be a case of 'getting a man (or indeed woman) in', as we'll be too old and feeble by the time it all needs doing again.  What a scary admission that is!  :(

I was happy that pulling off the old paper didn't pull half the plaster away with it as well, as has happened in a couple of other places.  We've (yes the royal 'we' again) papered in the two alcoves either side of the chimney breast, but just painted the other walls - I like plain painted walls with just a single wall or feature papered, I think you can introduce more colour and pattern and accessorize better with pictures, furnishings etc. when you've got plain walls.

Here's my lovely big splash of colour on the end wall:-


We just need to get a shelf now to go on the papered brick alcove wall above the TV....it's for books, just a few reference and favourite novels, I don't keep massive amounts of books now like I used to.

The other end wall beside the door, with the gorgeous red poppy metal artwork I bought, I just love it:-


Here's a closer look at the poppy artwork:-



I also really like the clock we put above the computer, it has a nice loud tick, I love hearing a clock ticking....although not in the bedroom!

As always, the photos are a bit washed out, the colours are brighter in real life.  The carpet is red, navy and cream stripes and we have plain pillar box red curtains.  It all looks quite grown up!


11 comments:

  1. Your room looks lovely. I need to decorate our lounge but just can't get any enthusiasm up for it at the moment.
    How spooky that I am also looking at doing a wall in brick print paper in a very similar colour....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks....what's even spookier is that our neighbour came in the other day and said she's recently put up the same wallpaper in her house! (albeit in a different room). I didn't copy her, honestly....never been in her house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. V skanky and the poppy sculpture is gorgeous X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that was a typo and you meant 'swanky' Rachel....teehee!!

      Delete
    2. OMFG LOL LOL YES!!! Swanky !!! Lol

      Delete
  4. That all looks so lovely! But cast aside that you will be too old and feeble to do it again! My husband, who has been decorating our bedroom (which involved scraping off all the wallpaper, painting the ceiling and coving, undercoating, painting the walls, glossing the woodwork, and now about the embark on painting some furniture with eggshell for a slightly more boudoir-look, is now 80 (last November) and although he's a little slower and needs to rest a bit more between certain jobs, he's actually been enjoying doing it. But of course, much depends on how he feels, of course, and his health in general.
    We have a grandfather clock (it belonged to my husband's parents) and we have that on 'silent' because when it chimes it drowns out all conversation or the telly!
    Yes, I was wondering about "skanky" too, Sooze! I think Rachel means "swanky", too.
    Our bedroom is coming along, but it won't be completely ready for about another month as we're having curtains made and a new carpet laid, and the carpet fitters can't even come to measure up until a week on Monday ... but it will be lovely when it's finished, I'm sure.
    Will you embark on another room right away?
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 80 and still decorating!! OH is 65 and I'm 10 years younger, but we both hate decorating and can't imagine wanting to do it anymore after the last 2 rooms are done. No, we won't be doing the next room for a month or 2 yet....need time to get over this one!

      Delete
  5. Mind you, Sooze, he's pretty fit for 80! And I say this in both the old fashioned sense and the modern sense! I'm 71 but, as I say, we're only 80 and 71 on the outside. Inside we're still in our twenties! We don't actively enjoy decorating but I have always loved interior design, have bought books on the subject since I was knee high to a grasshopper and now write about antiques/collectables/style/décor, etc, but without having had any training in this subject, only what I've learned from all my reading. I love the country house look which Nancy Lancaster (an American socialite) really started, along with John Fowler (of Colefax & Fowler) and today I admire William Yeoward and Nina Campbell for their style.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your lounge looks so classy, I love your poppy sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your new room and that poppy wall art is beautiful - time to have a rest now - well done xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very swish, I like plain painted walls, I dot do wallpaper, I prefer to add colour with wall hangings, the poppys are great I am getting into poppies this year :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!