Tuesday, 8 March 2016

The desk and stocking up the freezer

Thanks for the comments on my last post about our search for a wardrobe and desk.  No, the expensive 2nd hand wardrobe we saw wasn't in a BHF shop, it was a local hospice charity.  It surprised us as their prices are normally very good, certainly usually a lot cheaper than BHF prices....which yes I agree, are well over the top.

Here's the desk as it appeared on the seller's ebay listing:-


I liked it straight away, it was exactly what I was looking for.  As it's going in our lounge (we don't have a separate study), I didn't want an office type desk (our current one is a wood veneer computer desk which I've never really liked), I wanted a good solid wood one, a nice piece of furniture in other words. 

When we arrived to collect it, it wasn't really possible to have a really good look at it - it was in the back of their van as they said they no longer had room for it indoors, and it was a freezing cold day.  It looked ok from a quick inspection though, so we were happy to bring it home.  Having got it home and had a proper look, there are a couple of faults with it.  There's a split in the top, several inches long although not wide and it is towards the back.  The right hand cupboard at one time housed 4 or 5 drawers.....there's only 1 left, and there's no base to that cupboard, although there is on the other side.  None of this was mentioned or photographed in the seller's listing, which did annoy me initially - when we've listed something for sale, I've always made a point of giving an honest description, warts and all, which I think is only right and proper.  Clearly some other people don't feel the same!!

Having said all that, I am still very happy with the desk, it is a good solid piece of furniture in lovely old wood and I do think it's definitely worth what we paid for it.  OH has made a base and shelf for the cupboard with the missing floor/drawers, and we'd already bought a small leather drawer unit to stand on top of the desk, which will cover up the split anyway.  We've now bought new knobs to replace the bubblegum pink with white polka dots ones that were on it:-


I do like the knobs actually, just not in my deep red/cream lounge!  The new knobs are very similar, quirky but in more appropriate colours.  I just feel the sellers should have been honest in their description of the desk...I'd still have bought it anyway, but others might have been put off I suppose.  It was also a bit scuffed and marked, I've cleaned it up and repainted the doors and base, cleaned off the top and given it a coat of oak oil and it's looking so much better, I'll post more pics tomorrow when it's all dry and in position in the lounge.

We now buy all our meat from our local butcher rather than the supermarket - it's much better quality and all locally produced.  Some of it costs more, some is cheaper, but since we buy in bulk (having saved up for it) and he knows us now, he gives us a discount as well.  So this morning we went and collected the order we placed last week, which was 3kg each of boneless and skinless chicken thighs, minced beef and minced lamb, plus 1kg each of pork & leek, pork & cider, and venison sausages, and a kilo of smoked bacon rashers.  Along with the half a lamb we got from him a couple of weeks ago, we now have enough meat to last us for about six months.  I think saving up and buying the meat in bulk like this saves us money....it costs a lot more to buy small packs of sometimes questionable quality meat from the supermarket.  And we know where the butcher's meat comes from, so we're supporting the local butcher and several local farms.  All the meat is portioned up and in the small chest freezer, which is now full up.  My fingers were frozen by the time I'd finished!

10 comments:

  1. I think you should contact the seller just to say that the faults were not in the description, great that you are supporting local producers, if more people were to do this perhaps supermarkets would take notice that shoppers like to buy local, when I went to our butchers I used to take along my own plastic boxes for meat to save on packaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea about taking your own boxes.

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping to buy our meat like that once we've found a good butcher. Their meat is generally much better.
    The desk looks like it will scrub up very well - I'm looking forward to seeing the 'after' photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good butcher is worth his weight in gold, I think.

      Delete
  3. We buy meat from our local butcher and to make up for the extra cost we are having me free meals at least once a week, it's not a hard ship and the taste of the meat we now eat is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it tastes so much better than prepacked stuff from a supermarket.

      Delete
  4. Loving the knobs! I so want to buy our meat from a good butcher there is in Tregaron, about 8 miles from us. I just need to know that it is not going to cost me lots more than the supermarkets and is within my budget for the week, but I do want to support them so I think I'll make the effort to buy something and see how it pans out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give them a try, I don't think you'll regret it.

      Delete
  5. The desk will look good Sue , it is similar to the dressers I have they are cream bases with oak tops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look good, Eileen, I'm so pleased with it.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!