Friday, 12 February 2016

Stash buster baby blanket

Firstly, I seem to have 2 or 3 new followers - can't work out who they are (other than Angela of Tracing Rainbows) but welcome all of you, I hope you enjoy reading.  Thank you all for the comments on my new craft storage unit, I'm very pleased with it. 

Whilst sorting through yarns before putting them in the boxes, I realised I did have quite a lot of used odd balls, some nearly full balls, others well used.  So yesterday I decided to make a start on a stash buster baby blanket, using up the odd balls.  Initially I was going to do it in a regimented stripe, 2 rows per colour, but then changed my mind and decided to simply keep going with each colour until the ball ran out, so making a completely random pattern in terms of stripe width.  Here it is so far:-




Incidentally, it's on our new recliner chair, which is sooooo comfy.

There are 4 colours in the blanket so far, just half a stripe of the pale pink, it doesn't show up very well in the photo.  I thought the random nature of the blanket might appeal to a young mum with a quirky individual style.  I'm not totally convinced by it as yet, but we'll see how it works out.  What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Lovely way to use up yarn, plus until it's finished you do not know for sure what it will look like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great way to use up those oddments of yarn that we all gather. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember watching Kaffe fassett years ago on TV talking about using up random yarns. He recommended putting all your wool in front of you, and making a huge ball, by winding off 3-5 feet of one colour, joining in the next, and then the next etc till you had a 'random' ball. If there is a larger amount of one particular colour, you just use that one more often, to distribute it among the stripes. This knitted up into stripes of vaguely similar widths. I made a stripey DK jumper for my daughter who was about 4 at the time [which makes it 30 years ago!] I will be interested to see how your blanket progresses. Weekend blessings

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!