Thursday, 4 February 2016

Making use of stash wool

Does anybody use Etsy to sell handmade things?  Is it any good?  And, crucially, is it easy to use?  Do you get a decent price that you're happy with for your things?

I sorted out my wool stash yesterday (not before time.....husband was threatening to put it all in the loft).  I now have nearly a boxful of assorted colours DK full balls - some odd single balls, and 2 or 3 of some colours.  A bagful of chunky yarn balls in 3 or 4 colours.  A full box of oddments - a few nearly complete balls and loads of half or quarter balls.  And another box of UFO's - I did take out a couple of things which I will definitely finish, the rest realistically I'm not likely to, so they're waiting to be unpicked and the wool rewound.  I also have 3/4 of a bag (about 8 or 10 balls) of a lovely purple with lilac flecks knobbly yarn which I love, but is a bit difficult to work with.

I'm toying with the idea of crocheting baby things - mostly pram or cot blankets as that's what I like doing the best, and they're easy and quick to work up.  I might have a go at soft toys as well, there are some nice easy looking ones in a big book of crochet I've got.  Crocheted blankets and throws are my first love, but I've made blankets for all of our beds, plus several throws for us and some as gifts, so don't really need any more!  Plus blankets are more of a winter project, it's just too hot to have a blanket over your knees in the summer (I get enough hot flushes as it is!).

So I'm thinking about making baby things to sell.  Don't really want to use ebay....we've had a few bad experiences with plonkers on ebay which have put me off.  And anyway, Etsy seems more appropriate for handmade things.

So any experiences or help from any of you who use it would be most appreciated.
 

3 comments:

  1. Both Folksy and Etsy are easy to set up. I have a shop in both.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is always my intention too!! So I will watch and learn! I know teacher Joy sells things on eBay X

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is something I have considered but haven't got around to doing anything about it yet. This year I have decided to use up some of my stash on making sunshine blankets to donate to a local care home for the elderly but perhaps next year I might give it a go. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!