Sunday, 7 February 2016

Having a rethink and more plans

So it looks like Etsy's a non starter then.  Thanks for the comments on Etsy...and Folksy, which I've not heard of before.  Which kind of illustrates my next point....

I've asked around about Etsy and haven't yet found anybody who actually sells much on there....if anything.  My concern, which seems to be shared by others, is that it's really only a site for crafters - people who already make things.  And if they already make things, why would they want to buy something that somebody else has made, that they could probably make themselves anyway?  It only really seems suitable for people, i.e. crafters, who already know about the site.....rather than ebay, which everyone has heard of and looks at. 

I'm not really keen on ebay....as I said, we've had a few bad experiences with total idiots and timewasters on there.  One guy won something I'd listed, in capital letters, as being collection only, due to the size and weight, then had the cheek to ask me to arrange to have it sent, and posted really horrible feedback and sent me a series of abusive sweary emails when I politely refused....it took a while for ebay to sort it out and delete his nasty feedback.  And then there were the people who kept asking totally stupid questions on a listing OH had.....which they'd have known the answers to if THEY ACTUALLY READ THE LISTING!!  Oh, and the person who had the nerve to ask if I'd end an auction early (it was an auction sale, not a buy it now) and sell him the item at a price so low it was an insult.  I can't be doing with timewasters.

So I've decided the best way to go would be to sell my stuff at a craft fair....not a boot fair seeing as people only want to pay pennies there, understandably, but a proper craft fair.  I don't want to make a business out of this - I'm doing this as a hobby, I really love crocheting, particularly blankets and throws, but there's no sense in just making 100s of them and having them here in great big piles, I may as well make a bit of pocket money on them if I can.

Which leads me on to the next plans.....I will need more storage, well a proper storage area rather than an assortment of boxes around the house, to keep all my supplies in.  More on that later.

11 comments:

  1. I hope going down the Craft Fair route will work for you. Good luck with your venture. I hope you find a solution to your storage, I need a solution for my stash as well but unless we move or my sons move out I cannot see the situation improving, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, I hope you can find some kind of storage solution.

      Delete
  2. Good luck on getting this up and running, if you post photos on the blog you may get some sales that way. I am crocheting for Ty Hafan at the moment, one way of using up the little balls of yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Sooze I gave you the wrong info! Teacher Joy, who I think you might read as well, if not she often comments on my blog, has a Facebook page for selling things, not eBay . I meant to say Facebook, no idea why I said eBay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blonde moment, Rachel?! Don't worry, I have those every day!!

      Delete
  4. I sell mostly on Folksy they are english. Don't sell crafts on ebay never been successful. I don't do craft fairs anymore because of one stupid person who stood in front of my table and as she was paying said to her friend I've bought this to take apart to see how it was made! I know that can happen on Folksy but I see or hear them say it! I see a few bits on my facebook too.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Julie that stupid person must have really riled you! How tactless.

      Delete
  5. I am a knitter but not really a crafter and I have often bought things from Folksy. I know some serious crafters and they all use facebook to generate interest and sales - they tried craft fairs but found them a bit hit-and-miss. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs T....are you new here? Welcome if you are, apologies if you're not! I have my Facebook set to friends only, I'm not really into that. I'll have to have a good look at Folksy, I think.

      Delete
    2. Sooze, I'm not really new, I've been lurking for a while, but this is the first time I've broken cover! x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!