Tuesday, 19 January 2016

That Swedish shop...

Went to Ikea today.....unplanned, but got a message late yesterday from a friend asking if we wanted to meet up there for coffee.  This friend I haven't actually met before, we know each other through a forum and have emailed and spoken on the phone and have similar interests, so I knew we'd get on well.  We did....she and her husband are lovely, the four of us chatted as if we'd known each other for ages, no doubt we'll do it again soon.

As we were there, we (the Royal we!) decided to have a look round the kitchenwares section.....well, it would be daft not to, their bits and pieces of equipment are so cheap, you can come out with a bagful of stuff for about £20 (we did!).  Got some utensils, glass Kilner-type storage jars, tea towels, napkins, freezer bags, the exact type of lemon squeezer I've been after for ages, plus a couple of pretty flower covered storage boxes for my wool. 

We don't go there often, it's about an hour's drive from us, but it's good to go and stock up on a few things occasionally.  I'm not that keen on their furniture, generally speaking (too modern and stark for my tastes), and I hate the fact that you have to traipse round seemingly endlessly through EVERY department.  But I do like the kitchen stuff and it's so cheap, but is robust and doesn't fall apart after 2 uses.

Thank you for all your comments on our Ilfracombe holiday, we did enjoy it but are glad to be back home and into a routine again, and eating healthy home cooked food again!

7 comments:

  1. How lovely to meet up with an online aquaintance and get on so well. I don't get to IKEA very often, our nearest store is in Southampton (about 1 hour from us) but I do enjoy it when we go, I am the same as you and love their kitchen section. It was great this time last year when we had our new kitchen installed and I needed new almost everything as most of our kitchen equipment had been wedding presents 35 years ago and was getting to the end of its useful life. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kitchen equipment has done well then!

      Delete
  2. I do enjoy Ikea again for there kitchen stuff and storage we dont have one near us so I tend to browse there web site and get a friend to buy bits when she is in there shopping, she then gives it to Martin to bring home to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good, you can get what you need without being seduced into buying other stuff that you see when you're being herded around the shop!

      Delete
  3. We haven't been for yonks either as it is a similar travelling distance. I think we are pondering on a March/April visit. Glad you had a good day & a meet up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, we go about every couple of years!

      Delete
  4. Am I the last person in the country never to have been to Ikea or have an Ikea product in their home. Nor have I ever been to a boot sale. Nor have I read an Agatha Christie novel. There was once letter in the Telegraph about what people hadn't done (i.e. that the majority had done) and I was one of the certificate winners who hadn't been to a boot sale or read an Agatha Christie!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!