Friday, 22 January 2016

Getting fitter

I'm stuck at home 4 days a week whilst OH is at work (I don't drive, and we live in a very rural area with no public transport) - not that I mind, I don't at all, but it does mean that I'm not as active as I could be.  Walking around our rural lanes is a bit of a no no - they're very narrow (one vehicle width), full of mud and with tractors and horse boxes going down them all the time.  Sometimes it's possible to walk in the fields, the farmer doesn't mind, but it depends whether there's livestock or crops - they're not organic, they do spray their crops. 

Whilst we're on this diet, we do want to exercise as well to aid weight loss and fitness.....OH, although he's an HGV driver, does a fair bit of walking and manual work during his shifts, so he's ok.  We do have a good quality heavy duty exercise bike....I haven't used it much recently but intend to start....I'm going to try Michael Mosley's suggestion of doing some High Intensity exercise - 10 second bursts of high speed against resistance pedalling, interspersed with slower pedalling with less resistance.  I think even I can probably manage 10 seconds! 

In the afternoons I generally sit crocheting or crafting whilst watching a film....I think it will be a good idea to stop every hour and run (walk!! more like) up and down the stairs a couple of times, or have a quick couple of mins pedalling.  Any exercise is better than none, I just need to get into the habit of doing it.

Changing the subject, I've killed 2 flies upstairs this morning.  Living on farmland with lots of cattle and sheep, flies are a perennial problem here, but not generally in the middle of winter!  Our recent (very brief) cold snap clearly hasn't killed them off.

16 comments:

  1. Walking has definitely helped me lose weight over the past 9 months together with my diet plan. However, I do get frustrated when I cannot get out and about on days like today where it is pouring with rain. Walking up and downstairs is something I might have to resort to but it is not much fun is it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's not fun, but needs must!

      Delete
  2. That's how I started with exercise. I was very unfit, so I started off walking - whether it was outside or just round the house. I'd set the timer for 7 minutes (no idea why I chose 7) and just kept moving for that amount of time. I also got up during ad breaks if I was watching the tv or during the weather or travel report if I had the radio on and just did something. It really helped. Once 7 minutes felt easy I upped the time. Small amounts are a good start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'm not expecting to run a marathon or do a 50 mile (stationary!) bike ride straight away!! hehe

      Delete
    2. I used to just step up and down off my bottom stair to music. The first time I did it I nearly died! Couldn't even manage a full song. It's amazing though how quickly the capacity to improve keeps you going!

      Delete
  3. Although we walk between 4-5 miles once a week when out on our walk, we try to top it up by another few miles if we can. Don't always manage though. We used to workout on the exercise side of the Wii, might try that again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been too sedentary through the winter, need to get moving more!

      Delete
  4. Like you say walking in the country is no fun and even though we have lots of footpaths close by they are just a muddy mess through the winter. I think I will be walking much more when we get into town ( have to look at the positive side!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love wearing two pairs of socks and my rubber boots splashing through the puddles. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

      Delete
    2. Sue's right, it's not really fun.....it's not just the mud which is ankle deep in places, it's the fact that it can be quite dangerous too here....the lanes are so narrow and when great big tractors towing trailers and horseboxes are coming along, you have nowhere to go! (other than pressing yourself into the hedge or jumping into the ditch).

      Delete
  5. Get out and walk! That is what I tell myself all day, and it works. I also live out in the country, and my husband has mowed me a path around the meadow. My beagle Flip and I walk for 30 minutes each morning before breakfadt ( rain or shine) and with my husband and dog before supper. I bought a pedometer to keep track of my steps (9,000-10,000 per day!). Walking has become adfictive, believe it or not. Success with your diet, too. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Aus Open Tennis is on at present and I've been watching from whoa to go...that should be enough exercise for me for the month of January... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Lee....I take it you jump up and down then?!

      Delete
  7. I see you live in Somerset. where about....... email me if you do not want to say here, I live in Somerset too
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed you Julie....erm, as you know!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!