Wednesday, 20 January 2016

Diet

As mentioned before, I'm diabetic T2 and overweight, OH isn't diabetic but is also overweight.  At my last annual review last November, my blood glucose level had gone up a bit...I'd been having problems with side effects from my medication and hadn't been taking it as regularly as I should, which had caused my BG to rise....I knew it had as I test myself regularly and intended to discuss options with the diabetes nurse at review.  We mutually decided that I should change to a different med that doesn't have the same side effects....it does, however, have a couple of negatives - it can in a few people affect the liver, giving you jaundice.  I have a minor congenital liver defect which can also give me jaundice under certain circumstances, so I have double the risk with this new med, so have to have regular blood tests to be monitored.  No problem, I'm more than used to those!  However, the new med can also make you gain weight.  Gulp...like I need that!!

OH mentioned last week that he'd really like to lose a stone, which gave me the incentive to do something about dieting.  Coincidentally, the TV doctor Michael Mosley has just published a new diet, called The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet - it's a very low carb, low sugar, 800 cal per day diet aimed at T2's and those who are pre-diabetic or at risk of becoming so.  Perfect.....fate obviously!  So I read up on it, ordered the book (it arrived yesterday) and it seems perfect for us.  You follow the diet as much as you can for a month, then check your weight, BG and BP (via the GP if necessary - I have a BG monitor and BP one too at home) - if they've gone down sufficiently then you can relax the rules and go on to a kind of maintenance diet, or you can carry on for another 4 weeks.  It's healthy home cooked food, plenty of veg, lean meat and fish, no bread, potatoes or pasta but brown rice in moderation.  You can also have dairy (inc. cheese and butter!), nuts and pulses in moderation too.  No alcohol though.....well, not for the first 4 or 8 weeks.  Oh, and no fruit juices.....juices have no fibre and are more or less pure sugar.  It's a sort of Mediterranean diet, you're encouraged to have olive oil on your veggies.

We've been doing it since Sunday (I found quite a bit of info on the internet so was able to start before the book arrived) and both of us feel good - no unpleasant side effects like you can get on some strict diets.  I have been weeing a lot though.....that always happens when I go very low carb, carbs clearly make me hold on to gallons of water!  I had a sneaky peek at the scales this morning and have already lost 6lbs - now my weight does tend to fluctuate from day to day, and it's obviously a water loss mainly at the mo, and the scales might show something entirely different tomorrow, but it's encouraging all the same. 

We're eating very well - today's main meal is cottage pie made with veal mince (got it reduced in the supermarket the other day, I thought it was venison initially but veal is just as healthy), with a topping of mashed cauli with a bit of grated cheese and butter, rather than mashed spud.

Yesterday was chicken breasts cooked in chopped tinned tomatoes with chopped red onions, mushrooms and pesto, topped with a bit of ripped mozzarella.  Monday it was pan fried trout with roasted Mediterranean veggies and a little brown rice and lentils.  Sunday was roast chicken with mashed swede and green veg. 

It's all lovely and we certainly don't feel deprived or even like we're on a diet.  We are having portions slightly smaller than we would normally, and are not snacking between meals (or having cheese & crackers before we go to bed!).  I've not been feeling hungry at all, although husband has said he doesn't feel as full as he would normally, but he knows that's a good thing!

I do feel heaps better already, having dropped the carbs - carbs have always affected me quite significantly, not only with bloating, gut ache and alternate constipation/runs, but giving me aching joints and making me feel sluggish and generally just yuck.  That's all going rapidly.

I think this will be a way of life, not just a short term diet.  I'll be very interested to see how my BG falls, as well as weight.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds a real good start, and plenty of good foods, we are also watching the amount we eat, plus no food after 6pm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Marlene, and a good idea not to eat after 6 pm.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good but there are some foods mentioned we don't eat. I'm sure your body is more happy without cheese and crackers before bed:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm sure my body is.....not so much my mind though! hehe

      Delete
  3. I hope it works for you, My weight has steadily dropped since moving here, I put it down to eating healthier and being more active, I am happy with that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes being active certainly helps....I'm not nearly so active in the winter.

      Delete
  4. I've read something about this diet recently & you've made such a good start x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo, we're really enjoying it.

      Delete
  5. The best of luck to both of you and I really hope this diet works for you. I have struggled with my weight all my adult life losing lots and then putting it all back on again but have been back at Slimming World since the end of March last year and have lost over 4 stone and am eating a lot more healthily so I am really hoping that I can keep it off this time around. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4 stone is absolutely amazing Jan, well done to you. I too have dieted all my adult life....my diabetes nurse said the yoyo dieting/regaining weight cycle means you shoot yourself in the foot and mess up your metabolism!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!