Sunday, 31 January 2016

Crap scales!

We've just discovered, by chance, that our bathroom scales are rubbish.  OH weighed himself this morning and noticed that his weight was actually more than last week, despite a solid week of no deviation dieting.  So he got on the scales again.....and again....and it was a different reading every time.  So I had a go straight after him - weighed myself 5 times in a row and got 4 different readings....and there was a variation of 10lbs - TEN POUNDS! - between the highest and lowest weights!  So who knows what we weigh and how much we've genuinely lost?  We know we've both definitely lost weight, we can see and feel it.  To be fair, the scales are probably 10 years old (and most likely full of dust and talcum powder!) so obviously in need of replacing.  We'll get new ones tomorrow, will probably go for ones with a body fat monitor also (that'll be scary!). 

We're also going to a couple of furniture warehouses I found online, with a view to hopefully getting a new recliner armchair.  I think I've mentioned before that the one we have is on its last legs, it's about 12 years old, the leather is fast wearing out and looks decidedly tatty and the springs are going, so it gets more uncomfortable by the day.  I use this chair a lot, on the nights when I'm having difficulty sleeping I often come downstairs and sit/recline in this chair, I even manage to sleep in it....so getting a replacement is a priority.  We've seen a few second hand on ebay or in 2nd hand shops, but none were any good for one reason or another.  We've got money saved for it, but would just rather have been able to buy one second hand but good quality, as is our usual way.  I'm just a bit suspicious about the ones I've seen online in these warehouses though.....although new, they are quite a lot cheaper than others I've seen.  Obviously we'd like to pay as little as possible, but I don't want it cheap and nasty!  A bargain is not a bargain if it's not going to last.  Still, we can but look.

6 comments:

  1. Hope you are getting better. We just bought a new recliner but we had to order it because the Max weight was 120kg as hubby is heavier. Also if you go for electric motor, ask how long the guarantee is on the motor, some are 5 years, some 10years
    did you watch Trust Me, I'm A Doctor the other night, they said when getting weighed, make sure the scales are on a hard floor as carpeted floors can affect the readings. Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Kim. And yes the scales are on a hard floor in the bathroom, no carpet in there.

      Delete
  2. On the odd time when I fancy a fright night I go to our surgery and get weighed. I do not have to book and have never waited more than 5 minutes. Very scary some days but spot on accurate. Good luck with the chair hunt and you are very wise to be wary of anything that is too cheap. As the saying goes, if it is too good to be true, then it is a lie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't weigh at home anymore due to my scales giving different readings than those at Slimming World. I would get excited thinking I had lost weight or upset thinking I had out weight on just to find out the total opposite when I had my weigh in. Sometimes it is hard not to jump on the scales at home as I would like to know how I am doing but it just seems to end in disappointment if I do. Good luck with finding a comfortable recliner. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. You're doing amazingly well with your weight loss, an inspiration!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!