Tuesday, 8 December 2015

Health stuff

My damaged nerve problems are driving me absolutely crackers, it's actually painful now, I'm having pain in a different area up my forearm which I think might be due to me overcompensating for the lack of feeling and grip in the affected fingers and using/placing more strain on my fore- and middle fingers and thumb.  The pain and pins & needles are bad at night and keep waking me up, and I am constantly dropping things and having trouble opening jars etc.  The thought that this could go on for months and months, even years as my GP suggested, fills me with horror.  And this is a minor thing really - how people with serious illnesses and serious amounts of pain cope I do not know.

Anyway, a lovely friend of mine suggested I try looking at alternative therapies.  So I spent some time googling this morning....surprisingly, there are lots of osteopaths, chiropractors, reflexologists, holistic therapy practitioners in our area....who knew?!  The upshot of this is that I've booked my first ever session of acupuncture for next week....the lady practitioner sounded lovely on the phone and was sure she could help me.  I can't wait, I'm actually quite excited and looking forward to it.  OH has had acupuncture a few times in the past and found it helpful, I don't know why it didn't occur to me before.

Thanks for the comments on my post yesterday.  To answer Irene more fully here than a short comment would allow....I do use spelt flour a lot, some months ago we bought a sack of wholemeal spelt flour from a local flour mill, I decanted it into a food grade bin and have generally used it half and half with ordinary flour.  However, as ordinary wheat flour was giving me more and more problems, I no longer use that at all.  I have been convinced for some considerable time that our health nowadays is affected quite a lot by the amount of chemicals and drugs that farmers/food producers use - it stands to reason, in my opinion, that chemical sprays, growth accelerator drugs and antibiotics, artificial flavourings and preservatives and all the other chemical stuff they put into manufactured foods nowadays is going to affect us all eventually.  It's just not natural, is it? 

Re carbs.....I'm not saying they're all bad, of course they're not.  But I know, from my own personal experience, that carbs (and I'm talking especially about simple carbs like potatoes, white pasta and rice and bread and cakes) not only bloat me and give me bowel problems, but also make my joints ache and make me feel generally sluggish.  So that's why we have chosen to cut back on carbs quite drastically, and we are both feeling much better for it....the bloating has largely disappeared, as have the bowel problems, and my joints aren't nearly so achey.  Oh, and every single time I've cut down on carbs, I've lost about half a stone within the first week, practically effortlessly.  Plenty of good reasons to carry on doing it.

Other than my hand and arm problems and subsequent lack of sleep, I am actually feeling better than I have done in months and months.  I'm hoping the acupuncture will help with that too.



11 comments:

  1. Pins and needles for the pins and needles! - fingers crossed for you as it sounds very uncomfortable and painful and lack of sleep is horrible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....it's ironic isn't it? Lol

      Delete
  2. Hope it helps as well. We use a McTimoney chiropractor, has helped us a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't heard of McTimoney, I'll have to look it up.

      Delete
  3. If you feel that what you are doing is what works for you, keep going with it, we all find our own way. Just a couple of suggestions on what has helped stop my bloating and relieve the pain of fibromyalgia. I wish you well and hope that your health will continue to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene. I'm glad you've found what helps you...we know someone who suffers with fibromyalgia, it's pretty grim isn't it.

      Delete
  4. I tried acupuncture about 20 years I found it fascinating that they could put needles in you and you dont feel a thing hope you have some success :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully you will have had success with the acupuncture ! I want to echo your thoughts to Irene, than whenever I have what I call 'flabby ' bread or white mass produced pap, that I find irresistible eg warburtons toastie, I get achievements joints!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all seems to be working for you and that's great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pain is always miserable wherever it happens to be. Fingers crossed for the acupuncture! I've thought about cutting carbs too but OH loves his rubbishy white bread too much to give it up. I refuse to eat it. I hate feeling bloated....Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. look forward to seeing how you get on with the acupuncture, if it works I might give it a go.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!