Wednesday, 30 December 2015

Being ruthless

Ha - we'll see how long that lasts!  What I'm referring to is decluttering.

One of the things I really want to focus on next year is decluttering our house.  It's odd really.....when I worked as a secretary, I was quite scarily organised - my desktop was completely uncluttered, the drawers, desk trays, in/out boxes, even stationary pot and tray were ruthlessly tidy.  Everything was organised and in its rightful place.  Files were in strict order, even the contents of the files were neat and in proper order.  I was quite OCD about it all actually.

But I'm not like that at home.  I AM organised.....sort of - but it's a kind of organised chaos.  If we need to lay our hands on a particular piece of paper, e.g., I generally know where it can be found....but it'll be in a pile of other paperwork in a certain section of the desk/filing cabinet, which means I have to spend half an hour sorting through the pile before I can get hold of the relevant thing.

It's the same with clothes, cook books (I have a bit of a thing for those), kitchen equipment and other stuff.  I guess the trouble is, when we acquire something new, we don't automatically throw out the old, or at least put it away somewhere else, like the loft or the shed.

I do have a bit of a declutter every few weeks, but have hoarder tendencies (inherited from my mother, I think.....although she's far worse).  Well, I need to curb that, before it gets any worse - I'd hate to think that relatives would have a nightmare house crammed with stuff to sort through and get rid of when we pop our clogs. 

So I want to be quite ruthless in decluttering, and train myself to practise the 'one thing in, one thing out' philosophy.  Wish me luck!!

19 comments:

  1. I have the same mission for 2016. It's going to be a year of organising and decluttering.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, definitely the top of the list for 2016. Happy New Year and good luck.
    Joy x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one in, one out has been my mantra for ages, but I had too much to start with. I have shed lots of clothes, linen, books and so on over the past few years and still have too much. This coming year I want to work my way through the fabric and yarn stash. Be totally ruthless with the clothes and linen and have a long hard look through the kitchen cupboards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am determined to be ruthless about it this coming year!

      Delete
  4. Having cleared two houses, we didn't want our family to be likewise encumbered. We only disposed of a couple of hundred things last year, shall hope to be more ruthless next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems we all want to be ruthless!

      Delete
  5. We will hopefully sell up and move in 2016 so I'm going to go through every corner with the thought "do I want this in my forever home?" Should be interesting! I don't have a lot of clutter, but I'm definitely worse than I ever used to be about keeping things because they might come in handy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, OH is a great one for keeping old tools, even if they're broken, and bits of wood etc for just that reason!

      Delete
  6. Yeah...I tell myself similar every night...and then when the next day dawns and gets underway, I again tell myself again that night. I always seem to miss my opportunity to de-clutter during the daylight hours! Strange! :)

    Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops Lee, let's hope you can train your mind to tell you in the morning! Happy new year to you too.

      Delete
  7. Life is much more fun with less, if you stop and think about what you own, you will find you only use a small few items the rest is just storage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Marlene, we don't use half of what we own.

      Delete
  8. There's a very funny episode of Roger and Val Have Just Got In that deals with this very thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't heard of that show, I guess we don't get it over here.

      Delete
  9. Happy New year old bean , hoping 2016 will be a cracker xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the same to you, John (and less of the old, cheeky, hehe).

      Delete
  10. I am going to leave it all for my daughter to sort out! I am not mentally able to let go of things.

    Happy New Year, my lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!