Saturday, 28 November 2015

Random pictures

Welcome to Fishcake_random, who has just started following after thanking me for visiting her blog......some confusion here, as I hadn't actually done that!  I have now though, and you are welcome even if you did get here by accident!

Thought I'd post a few pics, seeing as I haven't posted any lately.  Things that I've made recently:-

I've done Limoncello for the first time.....it's dead simple, it's just vodka with thinly pared lemon rind steeped in it for a couple of weeks.  You then strain it and add sugar and water, keep stirring/shaking for a few days to dissolve the sugar, and apparently it's ready to drink after a couple of weeks.  Now, I'm not really a fan of vodka (I prefer gin), but I do like anything lemony and a few bloggers were making it and the simplicity of it appealed to me, so here it is:-





After stirring it this morning, I licked the spoon.....oh it's yum!  Have to say though it looks like a big, erm, urine specimen in that photo.....the colours in pics taken with my phone aren't very good, it's actually a much prettier lemony colour than that (thank goodness!  teehee).

I made a pie for lunch today, I'm experimenting with different sorts of flour as we're still doing low carb/wheat free as much as possible.  I used half and half gram flour/wholemeal spelt (spelt has less gluten than normal flour and is supposedly easier to digest), it made a perfectly decent pastry, although it cooks up quite dark.  Tasted nice though, and having eaten it about an hour ago, I have no bloating or other gut effects which I would have had it been ordinary flour.  The filling was kidney, smoked bacon, leek and mushroom, which I chopped and cooked lightly first, adding tomato puree, herbs and a little stock:-




We had it with French beans, peas and roasted Brussels sprouts, it was lovely.

This is my latest crochet throw, it's Lucy of Attic24's cozy stripe pattern done in random stripes of claret, navy and cream to match the decor in our lounge:-





I'm aiming to do 2 rows a day, more if my fingers and hands will let me.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I was having trouble with constant pins & needles/numbness in the little and ring fingers and part of my right hand.  It's no better, so I went to the doctor this week....he says I've damaged the ulnar nerve, probably by banging my elbow, which has resulted in the nerve being 'stunned' (his words) all the way down to the tips of my fingers.  He says it will heal itself in time, but it heals very slowly.....at the rate of about 1cm a month!  So I'm looking at many months of this constant and sometimes painful irritation.  Oh well, could be worse I suppose....at least it's only damaged and not severed!  It does mean though that I can't crochet for very long periods....the action of keeping my arm bent makes the pins & needles unbearable quite quickly, I have to keep stopping and hanging my arm down straight and shaking my hand to get some feeling back into it.  

I see Scotland is once again in for some awful weather....it's windy, damp and cold here (that also makes my hand worse) but is not going to be anything like as bad as up North.  Hope everyone stays safe.

10 comments:

  1. It is interesting experimenting with pastry, mine is now good. Wish I could say the same for bread but have just bought some ingredients which might help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to hearing about your bread results.

      Delete
  2. I have solved the mystery! A lovely blogger called Leisha has commented on my blog. I looked at her profile to return the visit and all that's listed is your blog. So I assumed you were one and the same lol.
    Any hoo however it happened I am very happy to follow you :)
    X x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gram flour....hadn't thought of using that, we have a veggie baji addiction so Ive got plenty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too use it for bhajis, will use it for lots of other things now....although I think it's probably more suited to savoury than sweet things. Not that I eat many sweet things!

      Delete
  4. Ooh that pie looks very tasty : I would recommend serving the limoncello from the deepfreeze - it heightens the flavour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll remember to put the limoncello in the freezer!

      Delete
  5. Your pie looks absolutely delicious.

    I've never been a gin drinker...not fond of it, personally...and whenever a drink called for gin I ignored the call and always replaced the gin with vodka. Your limoncello sounds delicious and as Happeniguponhappiness suggest...chilling it in the freezer would be the way to go...that is, of course, there's any left! :)

    That's a lovely throw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, you're very complimentary!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!