Thursday, 19 November 2015

Pizza fail

Well, the GF pizza dough wasn't a success.  When I went to make it, I found I didn't have any gram flour left (note to self....write on shopping list when I run out of something!).  However, I did have a full bag of rice flour, plus opened bags of spelt and soya flours from previous GF baking attempts (yes I know the spelt flour isn't GF, but does have less gluten than normal wheat flour), so I decided to use a mix of all three.  Just winging it really, I used a total of about 400g of the 3 flours and grated into it about 175g very cold lard.  Rubbed it in, then added tsp salt and 2 tsp mixed herbs.  Mixed in some natural yogurt and water, until it all came together, gave it a quick knead in the bowl, put it in the fridge for 30 mins to rest.  Then I half rolled, half patted it out on a sheet of greaseproof paper cut to the size of the baking tray.  Baked it for 15 mins, before leaving it to cool slightly prior to adding the toppings.

Whilst it was pre-cooking, I did notice it had quite a strong, slightly sour smell, but as it's been ages since I used any GF flours I couldn't remember if that was normal. 

The topped and baked pizza did look nice, it even cut quite well although was a bit crumbly (as I expected)....definitely a knife and fork job, it wouldn't hold together enough to pick it up with your hands, the pastry was too fragile and crumbly for that. 

But the taste.....it wasn't good at all, a strange sour and bitter taste.  On reflection, I reckon it was the soya flour, I think it had gone off/rancid (I'd thrown the packet away so don't know what the use by date was....the rice and spelt flours were in date and smelt fine in the packets).  We scraped the (lovely) topping off and chucked the base into the recycling bin.  Oh well, that'll teach me not to smell things first before using them!

I shan't be defeated though, I'll buy some more gram flour when we next go shopping and have another go. 

7 comments:

  1. Have you seen this recipe https://minimalistbaker.com/the-best-gluten-free-pizza-crust-sauce/
    Just one of a few. In your recipe, there doesn't seem to be any 'glue' to hold such as xanthan gum or linseed, and no yeast. You could try adding a little yeast and some beaten egg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks better still, must try it myself
    https://minimalistbaker.com/the-best-gluten-free-pizza-crust-sauce/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll give it a try. Incidentally, the 2nd link you gave is the same as the first one. I forgot to mention in the post, I did add olive oil as well. Don't have any xanthan gum or linseed so went without. I didn't put yeast in as I was going for a fairly simple pastry type recipe to start off with.

      Delete
  3. Cracking up, I meant this one:

    http://www.glutenfreestudentcookbook.co.uk/2011/08/16/easy-gluten-free-pizza-dough/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes use finely chopped cauliflower as a crust and for years have used finely grated cauliflower as rice.
    But if you really wnat a pizza crust then this will not work.
    Good luck next time.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will persevere! I did try a cauli/cheese pizza crust some months back.....it wasn't really a success. We have cauli 'rice' too, we like that.

      Delete
  5. That's a shame. I've got to toss out my flour, too. It's been sitting there for too long, I'm sure. And I've got to make a couple of cakes soon, so a fresh lot of flour will have to be bought!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!