Sunday, 4 October 2015

Recipes

Morning all, thank you for your comments, here are the recipes for the cornbread and soup I made yesterday.

The cornbread was adapted from this recipe , I had no buttermilk so used Greek yogurt thinned with a little milk.  I didn't use fresh chilli or sweet pepper or chilli powder either, I put in a tsp of smoked paprika instead.  Next time I will also sprinkle some extra grated cheese on the top when baking.

To make the soup, I chopped a large red onion and softened it in a little oil in a large saucepan.  Skinned a bowlful of our homegrown tomatoes (probably about 15-20 tomatoes of varying sizes and shapes), roughly chopped them and added them to the pan.  Also roughly chopped half a jar of small round red peppers and put them in, along with some fresh basil, a splash of balsamic vinegar, a tsp of sugar and sea salt/black pepper.  Simmered for about 3/4 hour, then left it to cool.  This morning I've whizzed it up with my stick blender thingy, when I heat it up for lunch I'll add a splash of cream.

That reminds me, I need to get a new stick blender.....mine, which was a supermarket cheapo value one bought years ago, is now giving up the ghost, it makes a terrible racket after about a minute of use.  Had a quick look on the Argos website.....they mostly come with various attachments - duh, I just want a stick blender for soups, I don't want all the fancy extras that will never get used and will just clutter up the cupboard gathering dust!!

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't be without my stick blender! The soup sounds lovely, I just got a few green tomatoes left in the greenhouse and I'm sure it won't taste as nice if I don't use homegrown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipes, have a look on Amazon for a blender, you never know your luck may be in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check Amazon for stick blenders, probably more choice on there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Braun or Kambrook Stick Blenders don't come with all the unnecessary bits and pieces...and the prices are good. Personally, I'd go for the Breville..it's a little dearer, but not as dear as some others...and it is 700 watt as opposed to 450 and 250 watts in the former two. You're be better off paying that bit extra for the more powerful motor. And Breville is an excellent domestic product.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!