Thursday, 22 October 2015

Low carbing

For years, since I was a teenager, I have suffered occasionally with IBS.....I also have a few food intolerances, 1 or 2 I knew about already, others were identified following tests I had when I was referred by my GP to a senior dietician.  Most of the time these intolerances are manageable and have little impact on my day to day life - they're only intolerances, after all, not allergies, although I do have a mild allergy to tomatoes and citrus fruits.  Even that doesn't present much of a problem, it just makes my mouth and lips tingle, with a little bit of swelling sometimes.

However, if I'm stressed, anxious or a bit down, the IBS and intolerances become a big problem, as they are now.  Starchy carbs and anything with wheat cause me massive gut problems (erm quite literally - I get a (more) massive gut due to terrible bloating, with pain and alternate diarrhoea/constipation too....you really wanted to know that, didn't you!).  All my joints ache, and I feel totally sluggish and irritable.  At times like this, it feels like almost anything I eat makes me feel ill. 

I don't want to go back to the GP - I don't want to be given a load of drugs, sent for yet more tests, or be put on a ridiculously strict and virtually unmanageable exclusion diet again (I had to do that before, and it was hell....to be fair, it did work, but that was probably due to the fact that there was hardly anything I was actually allowed to eat!).  All that makes me feel like I'm handing myself over to the medical profession and losing control of my body, which just makes me feel worse.  So this week I've taken control myself - I've been cutting out ALL starchy carbs and wheat products, eating more fish and above-ground veggies (rather than carby root veg), eating yogurt, drinking more water and fennel & peppermint tea.  I've also started taking acidophilus tablets to help sort out my gut, and St. Johns Wort to help with my low mood.

It's now beginning to work.....the bloating is disappearing and my gut & bowels are starting to settle down, my joints are aching less and I'm feeling less irritable.  Plus I've lost 4lbs since Monday!  Bonus!  I'm determined to keep up with this regime for another couple of weeks at least, longer if I can.  I hate feeling so ill.

OH brought in the remaining green tomatoes and peppers from the polytunnel this morning.....it's getting colder, the plants are dying off and the stuff is just not ripening.  A big trugful, so will have to make chutney or do something else with them over the next few days.

9 comments:

  1. I used to work with a girl who suffered with IBS and her experiences with doctors was quite abysmal. In the end she did lots of research and devised a dietary regime that suited her. Fingers crossed that this works for you, and that your weight loss continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, I am sure it will work.

      Delete
  2. I keep wheat to a minimum, for the same reasons, daughter is gluten free which also helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you're used to gluten free eating then, Marlene.

      Delete
  3. Now I'm older, you are describing me to a tea! Though I wouldn't go as far as to say I've got IBS. I feel so much full of energy when eating good food - but bread is like crack cocaine isn't it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is, Rachel.....hugely addictive. I often crave bread, which is a sure sign it's not doing me any good!!

      Delete
  4. Have you been screened for coeliac disease? It's often not diagnosed specifically because people present as having IBS. The initial test is a simple blood test. It might be worth checking especially as undiagnosed coeliac disease causes permanent damage to your gut..... I know all of this as we went through it with my eldest daughter. It's hard going being GF but she's sooooo much better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was, yes, 3 or 4 years ago and I'm not coeliac. The wheat intolerance does play hell with me occasionally though, it's always worse when I'm under the weather or stressed.

      Delete
  5. I hope by now you've got everything under control again...now those dastardly visitors have gone! :) (Just joking...re the dastardly visitors)!

    Take good care.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!