Tuesday, 13 October 2015

Lots of baking

I did quite a bit of baking yesterday.....it's the first time in ages I've done so much, sort of lost my enthusiasm for it a bit recently.

In the morning I made two cakes:-


The bottom one is banana & cinnamon, the top one apricot & ginger (or it may be the other way round!).  One of them has been frozen, the other OH will be having a slice of in his packed lunch every day.  I can't remember which one I froze, so he'll have a surprise. 

I braised some steak mince, onions, grated carrot, mushrooms and lentils in half a bottle of stout and some beef stock.  I then made some Stilton and grainy mustard scones to top the mince, before putting in the oven.



I rolled out a pack of puff pastry and made half a dozen raspberry turnovers - cut out squares of pastry, spread the base with homemade strawberry & raspberry jam, pile on some of our home grown raspberries, sprinkle with a bit of sugar and some ground almonds to soak up some of the juice.  Fold over the pastry, seal, brush with milk and bake.

 
 

Erm, I think I put in too many raspberries and not enough ground almonds, the juice leaked out everywhere.  Never mind, they'll still taste good. 

Squished together and re-rolled the bit of leftover pastry I'd cut off the edges when cutting out the squares.  There was enough to make 4 mini cheese pasties - just grated cheddar and a bit of leftover ham, the tops brushed with milk and sprinkled with smoked paprika.

 
 
 

They're not pretty but who cares, they'll get eaten in minutes.  We're going out today for a picnic by the beach so will take them with us.

Sorry for the usual bad pics and washed out colour - as always, I used my phone and I'm no photographer.

16 comments:

  1. First of all, YUM TO THEM ALL! Secondly I only ever use my phone to take pics and therefore I see nothing wrong with yours!! Thirdly is there such a thing as 'too much raspberry'??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol.....I guess not, Rachel. I just spooned the oozed out raspberry juice over the 2 turnovers we had....yum.

      Delete
  2. All of your baking looks delicious. Mine has been, sadly, lacking of late. I must get some done. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules.....yes, get baking!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, some of it's a bit messy but all tastes good.

      Delete
  4. Braver than me on that amount of baking. If I do too much at once, I get cheese off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually do so much in one go, I don't know what came over me!!

      Delete
  5. You were busier than I thought, those all look very edible. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you honey, I was knackered by the end of the day! xx

      Delete
  6. The cakes look yummy, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the raspberry turnovers and the little savoury treats sound like my sort of cooking. My phone is even older than my camera, I have no cable to transfer pics to the computer, it is a very old clamshell and is all I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam.....I haven't tried the cakes (one is frozen, and I don't tend to eat cake much, as I'm diabetic) but OH has had a slice of the apricot & ginger one and says it's yummy.

      Delete
  7. With baking like that we will all want to come on your next picnic

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ought not have come here, for looking at your baking has made me hungry and have only just had supper :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, sorry about that!! And welcome, by the way.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!