Monday, 12 October 2015

Best laid plans.....

Welcome to my new followers, Angryparsnip and Jo(e), lovely to have you and I hope you enjoy reading.....I'm still always surprised that anyone actually wants to read about our fairly mundane lives, but am happy to see that you do.  I will try not to bore you all to tears too often!

Well, you set your mind on doing something, and isn't it amazing how often something else comes along to bugger it up?!  This week we'd planned on touring a few second hand furniture shops and possibly an auction or two, to see if we could get hold of a nice red leather armchair and a pouffe, having been saving our pennies for weeks (if only things did cost pennies....is there actually anything you can buy for pennies nowadays?).  But.....suddenly, the car needs a new clutch.  Well, it's not exactly sudden, to be honest, it's been a bit dodgy for a while.  However, last week while sis was here, we'd decided to go to Ilfracombe for the day....well, there's a big hill (a VERY big hill) on the way, and the car - well, the clutch to be exact - objected very strongly to it and gave off an absolutely revolting stench and some odd noises.  So that was that.  Obviously, we didn't get to Ilfracombe.....the car was gracious enough to get us home after a suitable cooling off period (we took the opportunity to have a lovely lunch and mooch around in Lynmouth) and has obligingly ferried husband to work and us both to the supermarket since.  OH had one of the mechanics from work have a quick look at the car, he confirmed the clutch is definitely on its way out and needs replacing sharpish.  Oh well.

So obviously the money has to go on that, and the armchair and pouffe will have to wait until we've saved some more pennies.  Never mind, we'll get there in the end.  I'm just glad we've got the money to pay for it, we do have an extra little bit set aside for emergencies, but car stuff always seems to cost an arm and a leg.....

I'm going to do some baking today, a couple of cakes for the freezer and some savoury biscuits.  Have also got 3 or 4 packs of flaky pastry in the freezer (bought a job lot - well, half a dozen - when they were reduced to 25p in the supermarket), as we've got loads of our own frozen raspberries I might also make some sort of tartlets.  Will see how I get on and will try and remember to take photos.

14 comments:

  1. It is good to snap up a bargain and flaky pastry is time consuming. I am still working my way through a healthy crop of apples. Bad news on the car front, at least it happened before you spent your cash and not the day after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone who makes flaky or puff pastry must have more patience and time than I.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear. There's always something isn't there? My car has its MOT next month and I'll be keeping my fingers very tightly crossed. At least you had a lovely lunch out. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your car passes without incident or further expense!

      Delete
  3. The filters and oil just for doing a service on our diesel car were £54 when Col went and got them today - good job his labour is free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they're money pits aren't they?

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your baking, and be glad you had the saving to do the car, and when you get your red leather chair it will be wonderful, the wait is part of the excitement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we'll get it sooner or later Marlene, yes we are glad we had the money for the car.

      Delete
  5. There is always something that gets in the way, cars always cost a fortune don't they. Have fun with your baking x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. And thank you, I did enjoy the baking!

      Delete
  6. Bloody cars! There must be something in the air as I've been baking too! A day later, it's mostly gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said on your blog, some hungry people in your house! Fortunately, there's only OH and me in ours.....

      Delete
  7. Cars always break something at the worst time.
    Bummer !
    Such a darling blog as I have checked back some.
    I don't comment everyday but I always read.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a bummer!
      And bless you, thank you for your kind comment.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!