Friday, 18 September 2015

Have a look at these....

Morning all, bright and sunny start here in lovely Somerset.

I just want to mention two sites, a blog and a forum, that I follow.  The blog is Going Green in France, you can find it here , it's my friend Aly's blog.  She recently got a new ipad, which somehow managed to lose her old blog so she had to start it up again, and her old readers seem to be having trouble finding her.

The forum is The Cottage Smallholder, link here , both of us are members.  It's a wonderful forum that's been going several years, full of good tips and advice about cooking, baking and preserving, growing fruit & veg, keeping chickens, crafts, home brewing.  It's very friendly indeed, several of us on there have met up in real life and become good friends.  The 2 owners of the forum very sadly split up a couple of years ago, although they still keep the forum going, but it's lost it's way a bit since then with no leader at the helm, and we could really do with some active new members.  Have a look, introduce yourself (there's a dedicated Introductory thread) and we'll be very happy to have you join us!

I made a couple of jars of cucumber pickle yesterday, following DC of Frugal in Norfolk's link here , haven't tasted it yet but it looks good.  Think I might do the same with some of our onions, sliced thinly.....we like cheese and onion sandwiches but raw onion is a bit too harsh for me, lightly pickling it like this might hopefully take that harshness away.  As we have lots of onions now, I'm happy to give it a go.

6 comments:

  1. The pickle is lovely but being cucumber is designed to be eaten as soon as possible, within a few weeks at the most. The onion based one should be better if you can't eat it too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum used to make a mixture of cucumber & onion pickle x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love onions...and you've just reminded me...I used to love onion and cheese sandwiches...and I've not had one in a long time...guess what I might just have tomorrow?!

    Pickled onions are great, too...I love them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the links, I will pop over and have a look. Everyone seems to be pickling at the moment, I will have to find my jars and make something pickley :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sooze! Aloha! It's so nice to meet you. Thank you very much for your comment. It's always fabulous to meet someone from England since that's one of the favorite places we've visited.

    Congratulations on starting your wonderful blog. It took me over a year to get a hang of it, not to mention acquiring followers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!