Tuesday, 22 September 2015

Busy in and out

Thanks for your comments.....the lightly pickled cucumber is lovely, really fresh tasting and crisp.  I will definitely make this again.  Will be having a go at the sliced onion pickle tomorrow - strawberry jam to make also.

Went to Wilko's this morning to stock up on toiletries and buy a new cruet set....we've had ours for years and both grinders hardly work anymore - well, not without a good thump on the worktop first!  They had loads of veg seeds in a big tub, all reduced, so had a good rummage through and bought about a dozen packs....peas, courgettes, cucumbers, tomatoes, plus a few others I can't remember.  I think we have enough seeds for next year now.  Oh, except for yellow waxpod French beans, not seen any of those yet....even the garden centres haven't any in, they're all starting to remove loads of stuff (like seeds etc) to make way for bloody Christmas stuff.  Grrr.

Have just made lunch (OH was complaining he was starving) - bacon, brie and cranberry paninis, lovely.  I have a packet of puff pastry I got out of the freezer a couple of days ago to make something or other, but then got sidetracked and didn't do it, so must use it today.  Will use the rest of the bacon, pesto, cheese and mushrooms and do an open tart, will have that cold for lunch tomorrow with salad.  Also need to make a banana cake, 2 manky nanas to use up. 

We're having roast pork for dinner tonight.....we wouldn't normally have a roast midweek, but OH thought he had some home-cooked ham in the freezer for his packed lunches this week and it turns out he hasn't.  So it's roast pork for tonight and plenty left for his sandwiches, plus some for me.  I'll do a load of roast spuds and Yorkshires so I can freeze some for another day, saving a bit of effort and time when I'm busy one day.

OH is spending most of the day in the garden, he flits about between jobs (short attention span!) but is clearing the beds where some of the veg has finished, making the framework for another raised bed, doing a bit of cutting back and digging, doing some man job or other in the garage, and (supposedly) tidying it up a bit....allegedly.  His idea of tidying is not mine, but there you go ;-)

Tonight I'm going to sit and sew in all the ends on my latest blanket.....I really hate that job, I suppose it would be better if I did it as I went along after each colour change, but am not that organised!

4 comments:

  1. Gosh, you are certainly keeping busy. The cucumber pickle s certainly very moorish isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these autumn jobs just winding down fr winter, you will be snug and happy that everything is done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a hive of industry you've got going on there. You've put me to shame! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh yes! The sewing in of the ends. It's a rotten job. Every time I promise to do it as I go along and I never do. X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!