Tuesday, 15 September 2015

A (cheap) spendy day

Thank you for all your comments on my last couple of blogs.....I'm sorry I haven't got round to answering them individually yet.  Oh, and I seem to have 2 or 3 new followers.....welcome to you all, I've just not worked out who you are yet!

Has anyone been following the Rick Stein From Venice to Istanbul series?  I love Rick Stein, he's one of the most down to earth and least celebrity-like of the celeb chefs, and his food is so simple, not all mucked about with like some of the others do.  His food and travel programmes are brilliant, he's always so interested in both the country and the way people cook, his enthusiasm just shines through.  Having been to Padstow (for the umpteenth time, it's one of our favourites places) last week though, I have to say some of the prices he charges, not just in his restaurants but the deli and cookware stuff too, are a bit steep.  This latest book of his, for example:-


It accompanies his new series.....cover price £25 in his shop (how much?!?!!).  Well, I've just bought it from a well-known internet bookstore for £11.47 inc. postage.  It arrived this morning and I've been drooling over the gorgeous recipes and pics and descriptions.  I love the book, but why anyone would pay such extortionate full prices is beyond me.....I have a bit of a thing about cook books and have loads, but I normally buy them for a pound or two at boot fairs or charity shops.  I really wanted this book though and didn't want to wait for x amount of months until I saw it in a charity shop.

We went to Burnham on Sea this morning....it's safe to go there now the main hols season is over ;-).  Having said that, there were still lots of pensioners with Brummie accents there, but thankfully very few children or pushchairs or sullen teenagers walking 4 abreast across the pavement.  We had a trawl through the charity shops, there are several, most of which are local or independent charities rather than the huge conglomerate ones which are just pricing themselves out of the market now.  I got this:-


A ball of King Cole Splash DK for £1.....I've seen this yarn online recently for £3.79.  Lovely shades of blue with splashes of pink, shame there was only the one ball, think I'll make an infinity scarf with it.

I also managed to get some more of the blue & white willow pattern crockery we're collecting - 4 dessert bowls and 3 cups & saucers, paid £3.50 for the lot.  I now only need another 3 cups & saucers, teapot, milk jug and sugar bowl to complete my set - I've got loads of dinner and side plates, a few bowls, fruit bowl, cruet set, 2 meat platters and 2 sandwich/cake plates already.

So am really pleased with the things we got today - even more so since nothing was full price.

7 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of Rick Stein, we used to watch his programmes a few years back but haven't for yonks. I agree with the shocking prices of cookbooks, I always look for the cheapest price x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happily, you can always find books cheaper, if you're prepared to look.

      Delete
  2. I've so many cookbooks but like you I shop around or just wait. My most used lately are the hairy biker dieters ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I like them too (bikers, long hair, leather jackets, sense of humour, and they cook....what's not to like?!). I see they appear to have put weight back on though.....don't we all !!!

      Delete
  3. Rick Stein is married to an Aussie lass. They met in 1997 and have been married since 2011. He is also co-owner and head chef at a restaurant in Mollymook, three hours south of Sydney, New South Wales...."Rick Stein at Bannisters" it's called. So he spends quite a bit of his time in this fair land.

    I used to buy recipe books and magazines all the time once. I have millions of them...a slight exaggeration...just slight, but you know what I mean! :) I've now given up buying them...but that hasn't stopped me from reading them and researching them on line! Some habits never die!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's got so many restaurants and shops I don't know how he finds the time to have any involvement in them all, what with his travelling and writing too. Busy man!!

      Delete
  4. My faves are the hairy bikers too. I don't often get to see Rick Stein on TV. I love the wool, a real bargain x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!