Wednesday, 2 September 2015

A bargain and 3 makes

Thanks for the comments on my last blog.  I think the reason the supermarket shop this time was so horrendous was because it was Bank Hol - thus more people around, including holidaymakers.  Also, we went there about an hour or so later than we usually go, so again there were more people about than there are when we go early in the morning.  Should have known better really!

As for sleeping....well, I've had a couple of reasonably good nights so feeling a lot better now.  It was suggested that I try a nap during the day - nope, that doesn't work for me, on the rare occasions when I've tried it (because I've been so shattered that my body/brain just come to a halt), my sleeping pattern that night has been even worse, I can hardly sleep at all.  Like I said, I'm pretty much used to it after all these years, I just get the odd day or two when it all catches up with me.

Went to the town yesterday and had a quick look in a couple of the charity shops.....the ones in our town (about 7 or 8) aren't up to much really - 2 of the big chain ones are too expensive, I think they're just getting too greedy and pricing themselves out of the market.  A couple look like jumble sales - stock just piled up or thrown on shelves and hangers totally haphazardly and untidily.  However, there are two that I really like - one local hospice and an animal charity, they're well organised and reasonably priced.  In one of them I found this gorgeous jacket:-


It's a deeper, richer cerise pink than it looks in the photo, it's gorgeous, just my sort of colour, I love it.  Cost £7 and it's hardly worn - in fact it may even be brand new, it's still got those few little loose stitches that some manufacturers put in to keep the pockets closed.

OH requested lemon and ginger cake this morning, for his work packed lunches this week.  I made muffins, have just drizzled them with lemon sugar syrup:-


The surplus will be frozen for another time.  I've also made a granary loaf - no picture as it's in the oven at the mo.

And then I also did this:-


Raspberry and honey whisky, I've done 2 one-litre bottles, the second bottle needs a little more whisky adding to it to fill it up, that will have to wait until we go shopping again.  We had a few odd blackberries that have ripened so far, I added them too.  For cultivated ones, they're not very big, only a third of the size of the raspberries.



 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. I just love the jacket! And I've had a problem, too, photographing items which are cerise/cranberry, a darker shade of pink, because it always comes up as Barbie/bubblegum pink. I've no idea why this should be as other colours photograph perfectly. But what a bargain! I similarly had a bargain of a lovely Jane Shilton leather bag for £12 and a Jaeger silk square for £7 (I'd seen similar ones in a posh-end dept-store for close to £100.)
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like nabbing a bargain to give you a lift. I too love cerise, in fact most rich, deep colours, they seem to brighten dull days. If I wake up with the Bleuhs I try to wear red or deep pink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have snapped up the jacket, just my style, bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charity shops in my area (Surrey hills) have become very expensive. If I was still at the stage of donating outgrown children's clothes, I'd want other Mums to be able to afford them. No wonder some people prefer to buy new in Primark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My very favourite charity shop is an animal one, it's a slightly grotty one & you never know what lady luck might have in store for you in there. Your top is a lovely happy colour xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's something very satisfying about nabbing a bargain from a charity shop isn't there? What a lovely, stand out colour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS I'd like to add that my best bargain this year has been a dear little serpentine front chest of drawers. They are 1960s faux Regency, right down to ornate handles, but in a very tatty condition. Bought for £25, husband painted it (after sanding and many undercoats) with F&B's interior eggshell in Pale Hound, added knobs (also painted) and now they look the business as a bedside table in our guest room. This sort of thing, i.e. painted furniture (although we've not given it the distressed look, which we both can't stand) would be at least £100 - £200 in a chic boutique. Similarly, we spotted a lovely bevelled edged mirror in a charity shop for £10 and now the frame has been painted (also F&B's interior eggshell) it looks great on the wall of the guest room. There are bargains to be had if you can spot them and then use a bit of imagination as well as elbow grease (husband's rather than mine, tee-hee!)
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your jacket is very pretty and I think the colour will suit you perfectly.

    Sorry to hear about the sleeping problems again. Hugs. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!