Saturday, 29 August 2015

Where are we at now?

Some of the blogs I follow write about very emotive subjects, following which they get dozens of comments agreeing/disagreeing, some of which descend into slanging matches and insulting personal comments.  I don't want to do that.  I'm not for a moment suggesting people shouldn't write about stuff like that - far from it, each person's blog is their own and it's entirely up to them what they write.....if readers don't like what's written, they can always go and read something else instead.  I also don't comment on highly emotive or contentious blog posts....simply because I'd rather not get involved in the fallout. 

I sometimes wonder though why people write what they do.  Sometimes it's clearly because the blogger feels very strongly about something, or something in the news or a thing that's happened to them personally has really riled or upset them.  Someone recently wrote that they'd done something that day that they were keeping secret and weren't going to tell anyone about.....well, is it just me, or does that seem totally odd?  If you have no intention of letting on, then why bother saying anything in the first place? 

I also don't understand bloggers who get really angry and make spiteful comments about/to people who've taken them to task or disagreed strongly with something they've said.  If the commenter makes a valid point that just happens to disagree with what you've said, then why not just agree to disagree, why be rude about it?  And if the comment they've made is just plain offensive, well you can always not publish, or delete it and just forget about it - let's face it, if it's an anonymous person on the internet you're unlikely to ever meet them and they don't know you, so what does it matter?

Anyway, the reason I started writing this blog is because I wanted to document our day to day lives, the progress we make in trying to make our garden as productive as possible, the crocheting and cooking I do, and our ongoing project to furnish and refurbish our house using preloved and upcycled things.  I did get a bit sidetracked when OH's mother died and when my mother was ill recently - life does have a habit of getting in the way from time to time.

So where are we at now with the original purpose of this blog?  Well, OH has begun building and painting with preservative the frames for the new raised beds he intends to dig later on this year (later on?  We're already nearly 3/4 of the way through, blimey, how time flies!).  We've acquired some extra storage pieces for the stocking up of toiletries and dried foodstuffs we're starting to do in preparation for OH's winding down to retirement.  We've planned which rooms we're going to decorate next and in which order, and bought some of the paint when it was on special offer.  OH has put up a new handrail for the stairs, to help my mother when she comes to stay (and to help us when the time comes!!).  I've sorted out all our paperwork and now try to deal with it as soon as it arrives.

We've not had much luck so far in finding a new (to us....all the furniture we've bought recently and intend to buy is good quality second hand) Welsh dresser or sideboard for the dining room.  I'm not worried about that though, I know we'll find the right one eventually.....it took over a year before we found the exactly right table we wanted.  We would also like a different 3-seater sofa - the suite we bought 2nd hand a year or 2 ago is a Parker Knoll in cream, looks lovely but gets dirty VERY quickly (husband is a dirt magnet).  The armchairs are fine, but the sofa, we've discovered, is not particularly comfy for lounging on for several hours of an evening when watching TV.  We'd like a leather one really, in a darker colour, we'll get one sooner or later, the right one will appear somewhere.

So that's us up to date.

16 comments:

  1. I am a believer in waiting for the right thing to pop up, if you buy second best you can bet your bottom dollar that the right one will be there as soon as you turn round. As for comments on controversial posts, sometimes I do sometimes I don't. I have had a few iffy comments on the blog, if there is a way to answer directly I do, if it is from Anonymous then I just delete. I do not converse with faceless peeps anymore than I talk to answering machines, I just turn into a gibbering idiot. Your blog is just fine as you write it, doesn't matter what anyone thinks, it is yours. Mine wanders about all over the place, it suits me, my mind has been known not just to wander but to clear off altogether at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your husband is a "dirt magnet"? Errr...what does that say about you Leishy? With regard to leather suites etc., I have sound that the larger British Heart Foundation charity shops often have some excellent furniture for sale. There is one at Kingswood, Bristol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot the deliberate mistake! "Found" not "sound"!

      Delete
    2. Haha very good. But, erm, 'Leishy'?? Yes, there are BHF furniture stores at Weston super Mare and Taunton too, both of which we've been in and have bought things in before.

      Delete
  3. Another dirt magnet in this house too. *Sigh* I ought to be used to it after 30 + years.
    I'm sure some bloggers just write stuff to stir things up so they get lots of comments - I prefer a quiet life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always wait for the right thing, I can't stand looking at second best in our own home. You have the ultimate control over what you read, it's the stop following button, I have found myself following a lovely blog only to find they do or say something which I really do not like, so I vote with my finger and stop following. I don't bother to comment if my views are different, we all have the right to our own views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we'll get exactly what we want sooner or later, Marlene. It will just turn up one day.

      Delete
  5. It gives you such a sense of achievement if you can up-cycle an old piece of furniture, doesn't it? Or make something from next-to-nothing? Or to use something in a slightly different way to give it a new lease of life? For example: husband has just made fitted wardrobes/drawers for what is to be a guest bedroom (formerly a workroom, before that younger son's bedroom) and he made it all from MDF which he's painted. Our financial adviser called last week, we showed him husband's efforts and he (financial adviser) said he'd just had a quote from a bedroom company to make much the same sort of thing for his daughter's bedroom for £4,500! I kid you not! Husband was well pleased, he thinks the whole thing, including Farrow & Ball paint, cost around £300.
    Next, up-cycling: found - in an antiques centre/junk shop - a dear little chest of drawers, bedside-table size, 1960s retro/mahogany, serpentine front, but which had seen far better days, . "How much?" ask I. "In that condition, £25!" says owner of said emporium. Tucked into the boot of the car, home it goes with us. It's now painted with Farrow & Ball's estate eggshell (Pale Hound, just to give you the complete picture), new knobs have replaced the manky old brass ones, and it's enjoying life as a bedside table in said new guest bedroom. Total spend on this, £46. And it looks so smart and, what is more, with three drawers, is useful, too.
    As for using old things in new ways, I inherited a lot of antiques when my mother died, and instead of having them in a display cabinet, I use them around the house: copper and pink lustre jugs are ideal for autumn flowers and will, again, soon be gracing the mantelpiece as we kiss goodbye to the summer (what summer?)
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Margaret, it's so satisfying when you make or re-purpose something yourself.

      Delete
  6. We invested in good quality furniture once the kids had left home, we saved and bought when we were ready, it took many years to get what we wanted and are very happy with our lot now we expect it to see us out our days.
    We have leather sofas and I love them, I have a throw on the one I sit on as sometimes I did find it cold, also having scratched the previous one with those little rivets on jeans, I like the idea of the hand rails you have put up great forward thinking :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll have throws on ours (when we get it). Gives me another excuse to make more throws! We're trying to do as much forward thinking as possible right now.

      Delete
  7. Hello! I ADORE reading your blog and miss it when you're having a day off! How selfish is that?! But one I won't be missing is the one you mentioned with the very patronizing post telling us that she wasn't going to tell us what she had been doing! Made me soooo cross and told her so! She has done a similar thing before but I chose to ignore that but couldn't help myself this time!
    Waiting for the last of our children to leave home and the cat to pass on before we buy anything new! It's going to be a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julia! Thank you, you're very kind.

      Delete
  8. We bought our dresser from our local hospice shop, we've had a few things from them. Arghhh... don't do confrontation, I don't really understand the 'trolling' etc that happens in social media, I prefer my quiet life xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!