Sunday, 2 August 2015

Thinking about next year's crops

We've spent some time in the garden this afternoon, picking stuff, tidying up, pulling up some of the spent veg plants - oh, and disposing of 2 more dead rats.  We picked another 1 1/2 lbs blueberries.....I should think we've had about 5 or 6 lbs in total, I didn't remember to weigh them all before I froze them.  They're coming to an end now, maybe another 1 lb still to ripen on the 2 plants.  Also picked 1/2 lb of lovely big fat raspberries......about 2 lb of rasps already in the freezer and loads more to come.  We also have a couple of pounds of blackcurrants and probably the same of strawberries already frozen.....oddly, the strawbs didn't do so well this year as they did last year.  This has definitely been our best year for soft fruit.  Oh yes, we've also got a cultivated blackberry....or it may be a loganberry, or one of those types!  We bought it months ago for 50p somewhere, it was reduced because the label had disappeared, that's loaded with fruit too.

Also picked the first of our yellow French beans - we grow them every year, I really like them.  I grew a wigwam of climbing purple ones in a pot in the front garden last year, they did really well and looked very pretty, but I was so disappointed that the purple colour disappears and they turn green when you cook them!  That put me off a bit....although they tasted alright, they looked too much like runner beans, which I loathe.

We've decided not to grow any brassicas, other than maybe purple sprouting broccoli, next year.....it's just proving too difficult to keep the white butterflies off.  OH did net them, but perhaps didn't secure the netting to the canes as well as he could have, and with it being so windy here, the netting kept getting blown off in places, allowing the little buggers access.  Consequently, there are tons of caterpillars now, which is guaranteed to put me off eating any of it....I'm a total wuss when it comes to things like that.  And the caulis are a dead loss, after 3 years of trying unsuccessfully to grow them I just don't think it's worth wasting any more time or space on them.

We will have lots more French beans and peas, I love them.  Also lots more onions, both red and white, and leeks, as I use one or the other of them virtually every day.  More spuds too, maincrop ones, I'd like enough to see us through the winter and early Spring, until the new potatoes are ready.

OH needs to remember to do successional sowing too, rather than a whole packet in one go, meaning we have a million radishes and carrots all ready to eat at once!!

9 comments:

  1. Gardening never seems to go exactly as you want it to, Mother Nature keeping us in our place maybe. But it sounds as though you have plenty to get squirreled away for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love any sort of soft fruits, definitely on the list of things to grow next year.You have done very well on your produce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. strawberries have been a heroic failure this year , we usually have tons , but for a change we have some nice parsnips and carrots , they usually do nothing , nature is such a funny old thing ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. all sounds like a successful harvest, successional sowing is something I have to get my head round :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've given up on the brassicas for the same reason, it's a nightmare trying to keep the cabbage whites off them, and they absolutely destroy the plants, make them completely un- eatable. Chickens got our last attempt

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm laughing at the last bit as it sounds like me!! Currently have 30 ripe radish to go at! My Dad said I'm hardly sustainable lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really has been a fantasic year for soft fruits, what an impressive hawl of blueberries! I love them but assumed they are tricky to grow and need plenty of water. What's the secret of your success? I think Alys Fowler grows them in an old tin bath!
    Like you, I've already begun taking stock and planning for next years veg growing. There's always more to learn and I love to plan ahead!
    Sue X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like your garden is very fruitful. It is funny how you have to learn from experience and avoid plants that don't like your soil or your environment. I have never been able to crow carrots on our clay soil.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!