Wednesday, 19 August 2015

Getting back to normal

Well, we've been up and seen Mum.  She's definitely gone downhill since the last time I saw her, but is slowly improving after these latest bouts of urine & chest infections.  Her mood has improved no end.....she'd got so low, I think that was what worried me the most.  By the time we left to come home, having spent a couple of days up there and had a few serious talks with her, she was up and dressed early (well, early for her), had put her compression stockings on and hearing aids in, had used her new inhalers and had made and eaten her breakfast - none of which she'd been doing before.  She's promised to keep it all up - sister and I will be checking to make sure she does!  I also told Mum I'd like her to get herself into proper routines for everything before she comes down to stay next month....she said she will do her best.  So I'm a lot less worried about her now, and she is much happier and feeling better, so it's all good.

Seeing as we'd been away, we had a crazy mad day of cramming all our jobs in yesterday, before OH goes back to work today, plus a couple of extra things to do as well.  We've bought a new handrail plus all the fixings for the stairs, we only have one handrail at present, and Mum definitely needs two to get upstairs (we have no downstairs loo).  OH has also ordered a new wheel for the 2nd hand wheelchair we bought for Mum last year, we keep it here for when she comes to stay.  The last time she was here one of the front wheels fell off....and yes Mum was in it at the time, fortunately she didn't fall out!  And we were only a short distance from the car, so it was alright.  I sometimes think our life is a series of cartoons, we do seem to have a few Frank Spencer-esque calamities every now and then!

Not doing much today, the worry and stress of the past couple of weeks, coupled with a few sleepless nights, is catching up with me and I'm knackered.  Got a couple of individual meals (leftovers from previous dinners, a portion of fish pie and one of lasagne) out of the freezer for lunch to have with salad.  Have just made a tray of bread pudding to use up half a loaf of bread that we forgot about when we went up to Mum's.  Love the warm spicy smell of it cooking, especially on a rainy windy day like today.  Once OH's gone off to work, I will sit and carry on with my crocheted poncho whilst watching some rubbishy afternoon film on TV.  Mindless stuff like that is just made for crocheting to!  Although it does irritate me a bit that the programme schedulers seem to think that housewives who watch daytime TV are brainless and just like to watch either stupid films with a plot so thin the actors must have learnt their lines in half a day, or the likes of Jeremy Kyle (which I wouldn't watch if you paid me).  Oh well, there's always my Mamma Mia! dvd which I fall back on when I fancy a singalong (even I can sing better than Pierce Brosnan, and that's saying something.....still, he did give it his best shot and he looks quite good in it so I'll forgive him).

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad your mum is picking up it must be a relief for you all. Daytime TV is awful isn't it, I am enjoying old Heartbeat episodes though! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so pleased to read your mum is improving, it's always an extra worry when you live away, enjoy your day of rest, I find I do more with the radio on, I sing along (out of tune of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sing a lot, there's nobody to hear me when OH's at work!

      Delete
  3. Hi Sooze, it's lovely news to read about your Mum. Any improvement is good! I can't believe the drivel This Morning puts out. I switched it off after it'd inadvertently popped on. Much prefer a well lived film! I love Mamna Mia. I went to the pictures to see it seven times!!! I'm desperate to go see it live

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seven times, now that's what you call a fan lol. We went once, OH was relieved that we were sitting in the middle of a row so I couldn't get up and dance!! (he's easily embarrassed, which of course makes me do it all the more hehe).

      Delete
  4. Good news, hope she continues to improve. We all need quiet days sometimes, I count myself fortunate to be able to enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. Quiet days now and then are essential!

      Delete
  5. glad your mum is on the up, look after yourself, I hate day time TV, mindless drivel, I always have a stash of recorded programmes for the rare times I have the TV to myself..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I record films sometimes (if I remember to look!) for the days when there's absolutely nothing on any of the umpteen channels that's worth watching.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear that your mother is on the mend and that she is looking forward to visiting you. It is rough on us when our parents age and health problems pop up. I'll keep her and your family in my prayers. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!