Saturday, 1 August 2015

Foodie things

I rearranged the freezers a bit yesterday and have managed to create a little bit of space.  Just as well, not only do we have loads of courgettes and soft fruit ready to pick every day, but tomatoes are now ripening almost faster than we can pick them.  Onions are ready to be lifted and dried off....at least the rest of the carrots and potatoes can stay in the ground for a bit longer.  The purple sprouting broccoli is coming to an end now.  Thank goodness the peppers, chillis and butternut squash won't be ready for a while yet.....I don't think I could physically cope with any more veg!

One thing we've finally decided to give up on and not bother growing anymore is cauliflower.....we've tried 3 years running and the crop is always so poor, we only ever get perhaps 2 or 3 caulis anywhere near suitable for picking.  Don't know what it is with them, they either don't form heads at all, or the heads are small and not properly formed.....they're all loose and sort of 'blown' looking, and a dark yucky yellowish colour tinged with brown.  It's not a soil problem, as they were the same in our last garden way across the other side of town, several miles away.  Oh well, never mind, can't win them all, and I'm not really a huge fan of cauli anyway.

Now I've got space in the freezer, I'll do a bit of produce prep to freeze.....Dawn of Doing it for Ourselves in Wales's courgette bhajis, and some tomato & onion sauce for pasta.  Will also slice, blanch and freeze some more of the carrots.

We had some mashed potato left over from a couple of days ago.  Sometimes I peel and cook a double quantity then just leave the extra in a plastic box in the fridge, it keeps for 2 or 3 days ok.  This time though I'd misjudged the amounts and there was only enough left for 1 portion.  So I've made fishcakes with it this morning - added 2 small tins of salmon flaked up, lots of parsley, some lemon zest, a squirt of tomato ketchup and plenty of salt & pepper.  It made 4 large cakes, we'll have them for lunch with chips and salad for me, mushy peas for OH.  I always bake the fishcakes instead of frying them....they don't get the crispy outside (well, unless I forget they're in the oven!) but still taste just as good.

6 comments:

  1. I only like homemade fishcakes, I stock up on small tins of any sort of fish when they are on offer. There is always fish in the freezer so I can have a different flavour every time. I like mine done in the oven as well, I do not like the smell of frying at all. Glad to hear that the garden is doing you proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, the fishcakes were lovely.

      Delete
  2. Fishcakes! What a great idea, I've been a bit stuck for food ideas this week so wish I'd thought of making those. I had a tin of salmon I could have used but just did wraps instead...doh....I'll make a note... Your garden has done well, hasn't it. I do so miss growing tomatoes, no space now you see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of the best things about home grown toms, besides the taste, is the smell....you just don't get that smell with supermarket ones.

      Delete
  3. That is the only problem with growing your own, you put so much effort into growing then increase your work load in the kitchen, at least come winter you can reap the benefit, I will be making another batch of the Bhaji's this week to go in the freezer and the soup from the other day, I have just taken a basket of courgettes to the pub for them to use save them going to waste :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, the bhajis are lovely, I'll be making a lot more and freezing them.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!