Saturday, 18 July 2015

What to get in?



Wow, 4 blog posts on consecutive days......don't get used to it, I doubt it will last!

Thank you for all your comments on my last two posts regarding stockpiling, they've made me think and you've given me some good ideas.  Some of you suggested stocking up on other things besides food and toiletries.....things like cards, gift wrap and small gifts, cleaning products, and even towels and bedding.  I do keep a stock of cards and a roll of general purpose gift wrap, it's a good idea to keep a look out for gifts throughout the year too and that's something I will start doing.  Cleaning products is another good one, although in due course I would like to start making my own.....Elaine at Mortgage Free in Three had a recipe recently for a multipurpose cleaning fluid.  I also want to start crocheting dishcloths, the idea of that really appeals to me, it's just a question of getting the cotton yarn.  Those of you who knit/crochet them, where do you get your yarn from?  And how many cloths can you make from one, say 100g, ball?  Is it cost effective, in other words?  I'm guessing sturdy homemade dishcloths will probably last longer and assume you can throw them in the washing machine.

Buying spares of towels/tea towels/bed linen is something that hadn't occurred to me but is a brilliant idea.  We've recently bought new bedding when we decorated our bedroom, so that should last a while, but getting some spare sets, and for the 2 spare bedrooms as well, will be a sensible thing to do whilst we can afford it.

Those of you who already stockpile, what sort of things do you keep in?  And if you don't do it as yet because of lack of space or whatever, what do you think are sensible things to stock up on?

Thanks for the comments re the Followers list thing, I'll have a play around with the layout and see what happens....could be dangerous, I hope I don't end up deleting the blog.....teehee.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Sooze, I think that knitting your own dish cloths is a great idea and must be cheaper and greener than buying sponge/scourer pads. Dish cloth yarn should be easy to find, even our local craft shop stocks it. I wonder if it would be possible to knit one using something not so soft, to get the slight abrasive texture. Just a thought! I'm also interested in that recipe for all purpose cleaner fluid, I'll visit Elaine's site and check it out!
    Sue X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, Elaine calls her cleaner 'Easy Peasy Lemon Cleany' - I'd put a link to it if I knew how! I'll have a look for dish cloth yarn in the wool shop next time we're out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its easy to put a link up when you are writing a post in your tool bar is the button Link its underlined click that a box will open in the top section give the link a name and in the second bit paste the link that you want tick the little box open in a new tab click OK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn, think I've mastered it now

      Delete
  4. We have been stock piling clothes, underwear and for me shoes, I can't see clothes staying so cheap, so we have loads of new stuff just waiting. We can still buy items on sale, but we won't need to get so much. We are also looking at Christmas presents, get some whilst hubby still have a wage, just two pay days left for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep at least a months food in stock, I buy as much as I can get/afford of things like coffee, tea, tinned tomatoes, when they are on a good offer. I buy loo rolls, toiletries and so on as well until there is no more room to store them. My biggest stock though is of fabric and sewing essentials and yarn, I make as many gifts as I can and keep a stock of ready made small items. I get the pleasure of both making and then matching them to a recipient, and of course I always have a raffle prize on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loo rolls is a good one, might have to keep spares of those in the loft.

      Delete
  6. Knickers!!
    Dish cloth yarn is sometimes called craft cotton, they do go a bit grey after a while or maybe that's because I don't wash hot enough. I buy tea towels for 50p when I see them at car boots in summer as there is usually one or two turned into rags during the year.
    I like bulk buying but it's sods law that when I see something on a good offer I'm on my bike and can't carry them home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look in a craft shop when we go out on Tuesday, thanks

      Delete
  7. ......and I forgot to say I see you got your Followers pictures sorted.
    For a link - if you know how to do - Highlight, control X, control V to copy then you can do it easy. just put what you want to see on the blog page in the first box when you press the LINK button on the draft page where you write your blog and the URL in the other box. For instance your URL is http://herinhimout.blogspot.co.uk. Any help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, you bloggers are amazing! I am trying to set up a followers thingy,it wont let me use the followers gadget that Sooze suggested, I'm afraid. do you all use the google + gadget? Its so complicated.....

      Delete
    2. Yes I did get my followers gadget sorted, thanks Sue (in Suffolk!)....when I went to my layout it was obvious why I was only getting 2 columns, and it was easy to change. Now got the link thing sorted as well, thanks.

      Happy@Home Sue - hopefully some of the others can get you sorted, everyone's so helpful

      Delete
  8. I clean for a living - mop heads & white cloths are bleached (like tea bads..eewww), grey is the more natural colour (think recycled paper).
    I bought Baked Beans at 9p a can a couple of years ago, they're 35p these days...don't know of any bank accounts that would have quadrupled my investment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, bleached teabags....ewww is right!

      Delete
  9. cotton yarn is easily found in the form of cotton knitted tops from the thrift store , just unravel and away you go , 50p and a bit of mess can make a lifetime of dishcloths ...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea.....I'd have to pay a lot more than 50p for a knitted garment from our charity shops though, they're getting really expensive round here

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!