Wednesday, 15 July 2015

Blooming lovely

Our front garden's looking particularly colourful at the mo.  A few weeks ago I bought a selection of bedding plants for the many pots I have in the front garden, plus 2 small corner beds - petunias, geraniums, antirrhinums, lobelia and violas.  The petunias have done amazingly well, they've filled out the tubs and are absolutely smothered in blooms all the time, not bad for £3 for 20 plants!  I guess it helps that I deadhead them every day (my sister would be proud of me, she was always telling me to do that).


The wall basket above, matching one the other side of the door, has violas and a tumbler tomato in it, there are half a dozen or so little toms on it at the mo.



The petunias have all but smothered the geranium in the middle of each pot.  There are 2 blueberries in the pots behind the petunias, the fruits are just beginning to ripen and it's a race between me and the birds to see who can get the ripened ones first!  I don't mind them having a few.


A mass of honeysuckle and clematis tangutica, which has the most gorgeous nodding yellow flowers followed by silky tasselled seed heads.  I can't take credit for these though, they were already here when we moved in.

We've finally had some rain here overnight, and it's still going this morning.....that very fine rain that's almost like mist.  The forecasters have been teasing us with promises of showers for weeks, but we've hardly had any until now.  Boy, does the veg garden need it - OH has been watering it all regularly but there's nothing like a really good drop of rain to get things going again.....I swear our raspberries have shot up by a foot overnight!

This afternoon when OH's gone to work, I'm going to sit and redo our Big Cunning Plan.....that's the plans we've got and are putting into operation for when OH finally retires.  As we're now halfway through the year (I blinked and it was gone - just like that!), I need to cross off what we've already achieved, add a few extra things and generally just rejig it.  I haven't been this organised since I was secretary to a chartered surveyor about 20 years ago.

8 comments:

  1. Your garden does look good, dead heading is the best thing you can do. We have had rain again, not storms but that constant rain, very good for the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene, yes I shall carry on dead heading!

      Delete
  2. We have had rain to spare, at least that is how it seems, my garden is very free draining so a few hot windy days and the rain will be a distant memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much here at all......our soil is not free draining. At least you can sit and sew during the rain!

      Delete
  3. Hi, thank you so very much for stopping my blog and for your lovely comment. Its lovely to find new blogs to follow so have your button and I will look forward to reading your future posts. Your flowers look lovely, hope the birds leave you a few fruits to, dee :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee, I couldn't find a way to follow yours other than the email option?

      Delete
  4. Looks very pretty. We keep dead heading the geraniums which keeps them flowering. I love trailing petunias but cannt get them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. I'm quite amazed at how well the petunias are doing. You need to put up more pics of your garden!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!