Tuesday, 7 July 2015

Love it or hate it?

As a child I didn't have a love/hate relationship with veg.....it was pretty much all hate - I would eat potatoes (in any form), peas (although back then it had to be tinned processed peas.....I wouldn't touch frozen or fresh ones) and occasionally even Brussels sprouts - oddly.  Any other veg I would only eat if threatened with dire consequences by my mother or teachers at school....and yes, I was one of those kids who would surreptitiously throw dreaded veggies under the table - at school, that is, I wouldn't dare to do that at home.  Although I did attempt to hide veg under a napkin, or squash it up as small as possible and tell mum I was full, or feeling sick.....how I ever thought she'd believe any of that, I don't know!

OH, on the other hand, loves veg and will eat practically anything.  It was because of him really that I started, throughout my 20s and 30s, to cook and try eating a range of different veggies.  Nowadays I do eat lots of veggies, although even now there are things I just won't eat.....like celery, which I wouldn't touch if you paid me.....kale, chard, artichokes, Spring greens....well, most green veggies really.  I've recently started using a small amount of frozen spinach in some things, like a risotto, where the taste of it is drowned out by the other flavours.  I'm not overly keen on parsnips or beetroot or broccoli - I used to eat a bit of broccoli, purely because it's so good for you, but recently decided that life's too short to force myself to eat something I really don't like.

Growing and eating our own veg has been quite a revelation for me.....I honestly didn't know that home grown veg could taste so totally different to shop bought.  And the one big thing that struck me, possibly even more than the taste of home grown, was the smell, particularly of tomatoes and carrots....it made me realise that supermarket veg has virtually no smell at all.  And the smell of food I think plays a huge part in our enjoyment (or otherwise) of it.

We are now harvesting and enjoying our own early potatoes, carrots, courgettes (of course!), radishes and salad leaves, and purple sprouting broccoli.  Some time last year we had Sunday lunch out somewhere and one of the veggies on the plate was PSB.....after looking at it dubiously I eventually tried a bit - and was surprised to find I actually liked it as it didn't really taste like ordinary broccoli.  So at the beginning of this year when we were deciding what to grow this year, I suggested PSB.....and, guess what, it tastes even better than the bit I had with that Sunday lunch in the restaurant.  Our peas are now ready to pick, I'm really looking forward to those, in fact last year when we grew them for the first time I was eating some straight out of the pods whilst picking them - who knew they'd be so deliciously sweet and fresh tasting?  (Well, yes, I know all you seasoned veg gardeners knew that, hehe).

Are there any veggies that you just can't bring yourself to like?

10 comments:

  1. I hated most veg as a child and was forced to eat it really put me off then as an adult started trying them and now love veggies except for cauliflower hate the insipid tastless stuff and dont give it garden room :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all veg, especially home grown which can be 1000 times better than supermarket and a message for Dawn in your comment above, Cauliflower shouldn't be insipid,home grown is completely different and very cauliflowery!
    Just thought of something I tried once Okra -Yuck and double yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was forced to eat as a child & it was many years before I tried anything again from that era. I think it was more the texture of my mums cooked veg that put me off, it's a running joke that she used to put the Sunday roast on at 7am & we would eat at 1pm! Cooked peas cause me issues but I have been eating a few from the garden straight from the pod, I don't think there is any veg I dislike now to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Jo! All veg made me physically sick as a child, I can remember being made to eat 7 peas, I swallowed each one like a tablet, with a drink of water!! Nowadays I simply can't think of a veg I dont like, like Jo I add fresh peas and baby broad beans, uncooked, to my salads. So sweet and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mushy peas - JUST WRONG IN EVERY WAY!!! Everything else is good with me especially home grown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Celery like you! I hate the stuff. I don;t like cucumber either but grow loads because my wife and daughters love them. I only have to look at one and get a bad stomach!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okra, salsify and Whitloof Chicory, yeuk. There are bound to be others out there but have not tried them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was the same as a child I hated winter veg, to this day I have cooked cabbage of any kind

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marrow! Both of us! Courgettes cut small and roasted with other veg in olive oil and balsamic vinegar are now tolerated. Not too keen on frozen spinach as it is stringy but freash home grown is better. Just about everything else I eat which is just as well as I am vegetarian!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Aly - I do not like marrow or courgettes, though the latter are not too bad if sliced thinly and marinated in lovely oil, vinegar and herbs and served uncooked. Jerusalem artichokes are a no no, horrible texture. Green peppers are gross but all other colours are lovely...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!