Thursday, 23 July 2015

A bit of bribery

....Or an incentive, that sounds better! (although bribery is probably nearer the mark).

We have a 2-drawer filing cabinet that we keep paperwork - old bills, statements, pension stuff, letters & cards - in.  It has those hanging folders in it, all headed up neatly, in the bottom drawer.  Space for odds and ends, plus a pen tray, in the top drawer.  It sits beside the computer desk in the sitting room.  The desk has several pigeon holes, for computer disks, a selection of new birthday/anniversary/blank cards, post that needs dealing with asap.

Well, that was the original purpose of both the cabinet and the desk spaces.....now, the cabinet is so chockablock full the pen tray has had to be taken out or the top drawer won't close, and there's a mass of loose paperwork just shoved in front of all the hanging folders.  The desk pigeon holes are so crammed full of old post that not even a single sheet of paper would fit in there.

I've been telling myself for weeks that it needs sorting out.....but it's such a boring job and I keep procrastinating and finding lots of reasons why I haven't got time to do it.  Of course, the real reason is that I just couldn't be arsed!

Well, seeing as we're getting on with our BCP (Big Cunning Plan), it needs doing, like NOW - I need to know that all our paperwork is in order, I need to know where things are (e.g., I need a tax reference number that I know is in there somewhere....it's just a case of finding it!).

Here's the bribery bit......I've ordered some cotton yarn in various colours for my next crochet projects, I'm really looking forward to getting started on them, have been champing at the bit waiting for the yarn to arrive.  Had an email yesterday saying it's on the way, it should arrive either today or tomorrow.  Well, I've told myself (very firmly) that I am NOT ALLOWED to start on the crochet, or even unpack! the yarn until I've sorted the cabinet and desk.

So that's what I'm doing today.....

Incidentally, all our old paperwork and anything with names/addresses/personal details on, we burn in the incinerator bin, it's so much quicker than shredding stuff in the knackered shredder that's supposed to take 6 sheets at a time, but in reality throws a hissy fit, mangles everything and gets jammed if we try feeding it more than 2 sheets.  What do you do with yours?

14 comments:

  1. I sorted our filing cabinet out yesterday, poor shredder was on overdrive, I just leave it all in a pile on the floor next to the shredder, do a little bit in the morning then some in the after noon until its all shredded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our shredder is so temperamental and takes so long....hence why we burn the stuff instead

      Delete
  2. I have a big paper work purge every five years or so........ Lol I burn it. Beauty of an open fire! The shredder noise does my head in and I once knackered it with a rogue staple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the noise is annoying. Urrrgh, those rogue staples!

      Delete
  3. I burn ours, with the garden waste! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I burn ours too in the chimenea. I can't believe how many pieces of paper we gather without even knowing! It breeds under the stairs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'm sure it does breed!

      Delete
  5. Every thing goes in the shredder, to be safe, I just can not believe how much paper we still have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Marlene, we're the same, we seem to collect so much of it!

      Delete
  6. Mine gets shredded and composted, layered between the tons of weeds and lorry loads of grass clippings. I also put it round my strawberry plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, good idea about putting it round the strawberries....

      Delete
  7. Mine gets shredded too. I have a sorting session every couple of months then shred and recycle it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I persever with the shredding and then it gets added to newspaper for the making of my paper bricks...really need to crack on with it this year, but keep getting side tracked, I would imagine the current batch of paper being soaked is probably a bit smelly by now

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!