Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Hair cutting

When we lived back up in the Midlands, I had a mobile hairdresser, Jill, she used to come round to do my hair about every 6 to 8 weeks.  She'd been coming to me (and other members of my family) for about 15 years and had become a good friend.  I've had the same short hairstyle, with a couple of slight variations, for about 20 years.....it's easy to look after and takes no time at all to wash and blow dry (I use a diffuser attachment, I like the messy bed hair look).  Jill started off charging me £5 (she just did a wet cut), then after about 5 years it went up to £6, then eventually after a few more years, £7 - total bargain.  I've always preferred blow drying my hair myself......hairdressers over-complicate it, seeming to be obsessed with smoothing it down, placing every single strand just so, and using far too much 'product', which just weighs it down and makes it stiff and sticky....yuck!  So, whilst the £7 cut was, without a doubt, a bargain, it took into account the fact that Jill, being an extremely experienced skilful hairdresser, only cut it and only took a few minutes.

Living where we do, in a tiny hamlet of about 15 houses in a very rural area off the beaten track, I've not been able to find a mobile hairdresser willing to come out here.  There is a salon in the village about 4 or 5 miles away.....I have had my hair cut and styled there twice, when it had got so long and out of control it had become an absolute necessity.  But they charge (at the last visit around 8 months ago) £28, and then there's the tip on top of that.  Some months ago, I found out that a hairdresser had moved into a house a couple of miles from here and was doing hairdressing at home, so I quickly made an appointment.  I've been to her twice now, she does a perfectly good job, just doing a wet cut with no blow dry, just like Jill did.  But she charges £15.....and I have to wait for OH to be free to take me as I don't drive.

So yesterday I decided to take the plunge and cut my hair myself.....I mean, how hard can it be?!  (that was a joke, by the way, I don't profess to have any hairdressing skills whatsoever and don't wish to offend any readers who might be hairdressers!).  I have (as I'm sure we all have) cut my fringe on numerous occasions, or chopped a bit off here and there over the years, but have never before attempted a whole head cut.....well, not on myself.  I regularly cut OH's hair, but as he has a No. 2 cut with a razor all over, and hasn't much hair left anyway, that doesn't really count!  The one thing in my favour, with regard to cutting my own hair, is that I reckon I pretty much know how to do it, having watched Jill cutting mine for getting on for a couple of hundred times.

I couldn't do the back of my hair, so had to enlist OH to do that.....which was a bit of a fraught and nail-biting experience - he's so cack-handed, bless him.  But we managed, between us, me issuing instructions with demonstrations, and the occasional "Nonono......not like that!!".  It was a very slow process.....by contrast, when I did the top, sides and fringe myself, i'm happy to say it was much quicker and - well, a doddle actually.  Ok, so it's not up to Jill's standard, but it looks recognisably like my usual cut and I am actually very pleased with it.  So I don't think I'll bother getting it done professionally anymore.

Oh, and I've always coloured it myself, for about 40 years now, apart from the odd (hugely expensive) salon experience.

Do any of you DIY?

10 comments:

  1. well done on taking the plunge! :D I've cut my own for a few years now, not being able to justify the expense, as I actually did hairdressing at college, and had got to the point of learning basic cutting when I dropped out (for a million different reasons) so I know how to cut and care for it without making too much of a botch job! haha this Christmas I did the same as you and enlisted the hubby and took the plunge and got rid of almost all of my hair! I was sick of it getting in my face so I got him to chop it very very short! hindsight is a wonderful thing thing though, because it was so cold I had to wear a hat all winter to keep my head warm haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found a mobile hairdresser who will come and do y hair for £5 she comes to my neighbour at the same time but its not always a convenient time when she want to come so I have missed a few months now decided to go long again until I am fed up with it I am happy to cut my fringe and I will just wear it up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have straight fine hair and would never do it myself. Last year I stopped going to the salon in town, which charged 42.00 for a hair cut, now I use a local salon at 22.00 for a wet cut. I'm really pleased with my lady and happy at the saving. I do colour my own hair using an old fashion highlighting plastic hood, which I've had years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do his a 3 all over and he does mine a 6 all over. 10 minutes to cut, few minutes to wash and quick to dry by itself. I'm a no faff person - hated having to chat to hairdressers who took an age of fiddling about and charged a fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once did mine with the clippers, No. 8 all over, but once done I didn't like it so wont be doing it again. I have a lady come to me who lives locally, charges £12 for a wet cut. Don't know if you are anywhere near to Warminster?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, not ever done it for myself, I lack co-ordination with scissors/mirror, always thinking that the scissors should be in my other hand. I actually dislike being 'dressed' but I have someone come every 5/6 weeks to cut and style. She sweeps up the cuttings for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't dare, I would be like the man with a boil on his bum who put the plaster on the mirror. I get the dead ends off every 6 months or so and just wear it tied back most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the reasons why I've gone 'long' again Sue, I do like someone faffing with my hair, it's a bit of a luxury, but don't like the stupid prices charged. And I'm not a products person either. As for colour, resisting still, have never dyed my hair, but there's more and more white in it these days. I rather like it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just had mine wet cut short yesterday, £9, by my mobile hairdresser. When she gives up (hopefully not for a few years), i shall have to start looking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have cut my own hair for 30-odd years now. It's short and fine and I always cut it after shampooing while it's still wet. My last visit to a hairdresser was for my wedding all those years ago and by the time I came out, I was much, much poorer and she knew everything about me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!