Sunday, 7 June 2015

Back and eager to get on with things

Thank you all for your comments, we had a wonderful time in south west Wales - even the weather was kind to us, we only had 1 and a half wet days.  The hot tub was just fabulous, so relaxing.  We didn't think about any of the horrible stuff surrounding MiL's death at all, we just totally forgot about everything and just enjoyed ourselves.  Having talked things through now, we've decided to simply let go of all the bad things.....I don't want to say too much about it, but certain things concerning one of OH's siblings came to light following his mother's death, serious stuff which could have involved police and court action and would have had far reaching consequences.  Well, it's not something that we really want to get involved in and really doesn't affect us personally, so as we don't want all the hassle and stress, we've made the decision not to have any further involvement in it....if others want to take it up, that's up to them.  So that's that.  Onwards and upwards, as they say.

All the unpacking and washing has been done - this usually takes me several days, but having come back with a renewed sense of purpose, I just wanted to get it done so I can get on with other things.  I did a freezer stocktake this morning and menu planned for the week using up what's left in the freezers, then went shopping with a list of just the necessary things.  The freezers (we actually have 3 - the large fridge/freezer indoors, plus an under the counter one and a small chest freezer we were given last year, both in the outhouse) are emptying out nicely.....I want to make room for all the veg/fruit we will soon be inundated with.  We're growing more stuff this year, with a view to having a good supply of home grown veg and fruit to last us all year, so need plenty of space in the freezers. 

I'm going to try and get all 4 dining chairs finished this coming week.....I've decided that I'm only going to paint 2 of them (one is finished, the other has been undercoated).  The other 2 I'm going to sand right down and then use light oak oil on them, to bring out the beautiful grain of the wood.  I do like old solid wood, it's really lovely when it's well looked after.

We're going to start looking for an old dresser or sideboard for the dining room now, plus an antique pine wardrobe for the twin spare bedroom.

In the evenings I shall be cracking on with my crocheted bed topper blanket....it's coming on really well and I can't wait to see it finished and on the bed.  I've just bought some new plain bedding for our bed, we have plain plum curtains and a stone coloured carpet, the walls when we decorate in the next month will be plain mink painted.  So the crocheted bed topper in 4 wide stripes of royal blue, plum, pink and magenta will be a big splash of colour, along with a couple of large pictures.  I'll post pics when it's all done.

8 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great holiday, we spent 2 weeks in Wales a few last year, it was stunning one of my favourite holidays. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have simple white bedding, and I love it, goes with everything. Love the sound of your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a good holiday, welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home, next time you visit the area pop in for a cuppa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so pleased you had a good break away and are now feeling refreshed and ready to carry on with creating a lovely home for yourselves. I look forward to seeing the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is good to have a positive outlook on things, you can see more clearly then. So glad yu enjoyed the holiday and really relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You are sounding so positive. Your holiday must have done you the world of good. We are going to be facing some tough times ahead and it's good to be reminded that we will need some time to ourselves to recharge ocassionally. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. That has helped me too. I am determined to reclaim my life once the funeral is over.We all have a right to enjoy life. I will try to follow your example.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!