Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Swallows and.....Martins!

When I get up in the mornings, I go and have a look out of the front bedroom window (we sleep in the back bedroom).  The view is lovely, it's different every day depending on the weather, time of year, etc.  On sunny clear days the Quantock hills in the distance are bathed in sunshine....right now the fields of oil seed rape are in full flower and glow in the sun.  On misty days (we get a lot of that, the West Country being warm and wet) we can't see the hills at all.

This morning, the view was even better than usual:-



Apologies for the poor quality of the photo, and I know it's not terribly distinguishable.  However, there are about 35 or 40 swallows and house martins on the telephone wires which go over our front garden, it was so lovely to see them all so close up.  They are actually a lot closer than they appear in the photo.....I have no idea how to zoom or anything on my phone cam!  Also, the cows were put back in the field yesterday, some of them have very young calves, quite a few are still pregnant.  The swallows and martins have a ready supply of flies right there in the field, their own open air restaurant on the doorstep.  The martins nest under the eaves, some of the nests are still there from last year, others fall off the wall shortly after the babies have fledged (what good timing that is!).

I'll have to read the manual and have a play and see if I can work out how to zoom in (you can tell I'm not tech-minded can't you), then will take some pics of the nests.

18 comments:

  1. Hi Sooze I didn't realise you are in the West Country, so are we, when we were for our walk the other day we spotted a few swifts, have fun with your camera, I love playing around with mine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry how dumb of me it says Somerset in your about me.x

      Delete
    2. Don't worry about it, we all have blonde or senior moments! Whereabouts are you?

      Delete
  2. We have swallows in our shed but never see House matins here and only rarely see swifts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've not seen swifts here either.

      Delete
  3. Swifts and Swallows buzzing around our barns. Lovely to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Aly, we're very lucky aren't we.

      Delete
  4. The Amman valley is a live with Swifts and Martins, I have a Martins nest under my eaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a nest right beside our bedroom window, I'll try to take a pic of it soon.

      Delete
  5. I can right click on your photos and open them in another tab, then click again and it enlarges so well that I could make out which birds were which. It must be lovely to have them so close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good tip, TA, thanks xx

      Delete
  6. the place is alive with swallows swifts and house martins here, I have to remember to duck past the porch otherwise I will end up with a new parting in my hair :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only gripe I have with them is that they poop on my washing! But it's a small price to pay really.

      Delete
  7. You live in a beautiful place. I'm glad we've met


    ALOHA from Honolulu,
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, welcome to my blog. I'm sure Honolulu is even more beautiful!

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry for your loss and sorry for not commenting before, been meeting myself coming back.
    I've been reading a book called 'The Garden in the Clouds' that mentions the Quantock Hills frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll have to look out for that book.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!