Saturday, 9 May 2015

In limbo

It's been (and continues to be) a very upsetting week, OH and I aren't sleeping at all well and we're both physically and mentally drained.  Not so bad for me as I'm home all day, but OH has to go to work and drive artics, which is a worry.  We don't even know yet when the funeral will be or what the actual cause of death was, MiL had to have a post mortem, which apparently didn't reveal anything conclusive, and so they're waiting on test results.  And of course the bank holiday delayed things.  So we're all in limbo really and don't feel as if we can carry on with normal life, as everything feels suspended in mid air.  I'm doing my best to support OH as much as possible, but just feel helpless.

I'm trying to keep busy, I've been doing a lot of cooking for the freezer, baking bread and cakes.  Been crocheting a lot too.  The blanket I've been doing for the single spare room has been put on hold temporarily....I'm running out of some of the colours, which is a nuisance as I thought I'd got enough.  After a quick calculation I think I'll need another 2, possibly 3 balls.  In the meantime, I've started another blanket, a double size one for our bed, as I fancied a change from the granny square one we have.  I'm doing it in V-stitch and using chunky wool, which I have quite a lot of, it's in 4 wide bands of royal blue, magenta, purple and pink, with a row of cream in between each one:-

 

Again, apologies for the poor quality of the photo - the magenta and pink look very similar in the photo but they're actually not.  I love how this is hooking up, I think it's my favourite so far of all the blankets and throws I've made.

I can't use my ordinary straight metal or plastic hooks anymore, I can't seem to hold them properly and get terrible cramp.  So some months ago I splashed out on a set of hooks with chunky rubber grips, in sizes 2 to 6.....got them at a reasonable price on ebay.  They are fabulous, really comfortable to hold and work with.  Last week I bought another set of 4 in large sizes.....they're a different make with slightly different grips, but just as comfortable:-



I'm using a size 7 for this chunky blanket, it's growing satisfyingly quickly.

Thank you everyone for your comments, when I started this blog I had no expectations at all of receiving comments (or even of anyone reading, for that matter).  It's lovely to receive them and I'm very grateful.

11 comments:

  1. So sorry to read of your loss. I find that the time between the passing and the funeral is the absolute worst - trying to come to terms with one's loss, dreading the actual day then wondering "what now?" once it is all over. Thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia, yes you're right.

      Delete
  2. It's a terrible limbo time for both of you, I hope you can rest and enjoy the weekend together, the keeping busy baking will be useful later on for you. Your crochet is stunning, I'm like you and find thin needles and hooks a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marlene, unfortunately OH has been working all weekend, but he's off for the next 2 days.

      Delete
  3. You sound as if you are doing really well to cope with a difficult situation! It sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully you will have some answers soon and can then start to move on a little. The new blanket looks lovely and cosy :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm sure the new blanket will be lovely and warm in the winter, being a chunky yarn.

      Delete
  4. Oh love, I am so sorry that things have still not been resolved, I hope that it will happen soon.

    Meanwhile, I do like the colours of you new blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toni. Yes, the blanket colours are very you....we obviously have the same taste!

      Delete
  5. I went to a stationary shop and purchased some gel grips that fit over pens and pencils. They worked a treat. I had to adapt them by using some tape around the crochet hook first and then put the grips over that but so so comfortable. Finger cramps are a misery.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!