Tuesday, 5 May 2015

A busy day

Welcome to my new follower, Julia Douglas.  Thank you all for your kind words, and to Juhli for the advice on clearing a house after a loved one has died.

We are only just getting back to normal after the emotional and tiring weekend, it knocked both of us for six, we still haven't had a decent night's sleep.

I'm still in a decluttering frame of mind.  This afternoon we're taking a black bin bag full of clothes, large carrier bag of shoes, and 2 boxes of crockery to the CS.  Over the next few days I'm going to sort the kitchen cupboards, as I know there are pans and dishes I don't use.  Then there are books to be culled....I did get rid of a couple of carriers full a few months ago, but I know there are more that can go. 

And then there's the paperwork.....god how I hate dealing with paperwork!  It isn't scattered all over the house like MiL's was, it is all contained within the lounge in a filing cabinet, desk and sideboard (oops, there's a small pile on the windowsill as well, oh dear!).  Still, it will probably take me at least a day to sort through it all, but hopefully a lot of it can be shredded/burnt, and the remainder contained within the filing cabinet.

And then it's just a case of keeping it all in check and not accumulating more.....she says, with the little devil on her shoulder cackling like mad and croaking "not a chance!".

Did 2 loads of washing this morning....I've had to use the tumble dryer for some of it as it's heavy showers on and off all the time, and only have one clothes horse and a couple of rad airers.  I've been trying to avoid using the tumble dryer, but needs must.  Baked a wholemeal loaf and a banana cake.  Doing roasted butternut squash & tomato lasagne for dinner.....the roasted tomatoes I got out of the freezer are the last of our homegrown ones from last year.  We're not vegetarians, but we do have a couple of meat-free meals each week.

6 comments:

  1. Its better to get everything sorted while you are in the mood, then its done.
    It is raining hard here and will be until the end of the week, I like you don't like using the dryer but I shall have to this week. We are not vegetarians but we have some meat free meals most weeks, it saves on the pennies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More heavy showers forecast here too this week. Oh well, it does the garden good.

      Delete
  2. We have two meat free days and it enable us to pay for better quality meats for the rest of the time. This is the best time of year to have a sort out, most spring I am looking at stuff and clearing it out. It's not so bad now I have stopped shopping every weekend, we only buy what we need, not what the shops want to sell you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also try to buy good quality British meat now, even if it means we have smaller portions.

      Delete
  3. I am also working at shopping when needed not because this is a shopping day. In a bid to reduce plastic I am going to buy all my fruit and veg from markets. It can be put straight into my shopping bag. Markets here are the same price as supermarkets but the benfit will be local produce in season. I am also planning to buy cheese from the market as it is locally made by farmers. I am on a very steep learning curve.
    I am vegetarian but P is not. He is being very good about having more veggie meals as long as he gets his Sunday roast!
    I also still have a lot more de cluttering to do but no charity shops here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're doing so well with your cutting down on chemicals, plastics, etc. I admire you.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!