Thursday, 30 April 2015

Willow pattern

Welcome to my new followers, I hope you enjoy reading.

I mentioned before that I'm collecting willow pattern crockery, to replace our original stuff.  We have 2 sets of different pattern crockery - well, incomplete sets now as the odd plate or bowl has been broken over the years, and quite a few of what's left are chipped.  We've now collected in the willow pattern 10 each dinner and side plates, a few dessert dishes, a fruit bowl, 2 meat platters and 2 cake plates....they don't all match as some are different makers, but near as dammit, and I don't mind anyway.  I've spent this morning clearing out the crockery cupboard, giving it a good clean (it was so dusty!  Where does all the dust come from....it's a cupboard - with doors!) and installing the willow pattern stuff.  The old crockery will be taken to a charity shop, apart from any pieces that are badly chipped.

There's one big advantage of this willow pattern stuff.....the dinner plates, being vintage, are a bit smaller than our previous ones, meaning we are having smaller portions.  A sneaky way of cutting calories and eating a bit less - but with the plate still full it kind of tricks you into thinking you're still having a big meal!


There's loads of willow pattern crockery on ebay, but mostly at ridiculously high prices....I've got all my stuff so much cheaper at boot sales, in charity shops and vintage markets.  I know people want to make a profit, but everyone seems to be jumping on the 'vintage' or 'retro' bandwagon and charging what I think are often extortionate prices.  And, let's face it, the willow pattern crockery, much as I love it, is only very ordinary really.....it's what I guess normal working households would have had years ago.

16 comments:

  1. I once found a boxed 20 piece willow set, it cost me £4 and I later ebayed it, and I made quite a lot of profit, it is very popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, £4, that was a bargain!

      Delete
  2. I've inherited quite a bit of it from my grandmother, who, I know, used it for Sunday best, as she had blue and white stripes for everyday crocks. I still use the big oval carving plate at Christmas if we have turkey. I love it.
    Joy x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky, a lovely memory of your grandmother.

      Delete
  3. It's so pretty! My absolute favourite colours!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.....our kitchen/dining room is blue, yellow and cream so the crockery will go well.

      Delete
  4. I inherited my late mother's lovely 1930s floral dinner service which comes out on high days and holidays and yes, the dinner plates are certainly smaller than those being produced today and those huge white lumps from the supermarkets! I actually like the smaller plates and they do encourage us to eat slightly less.
    The Willow Pattern is timeless and you can mix and match it with other blue and white ceramics.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is timeless, yes, Margaret.

      Delete
  5. My every day crockery is Royal Albert Silver Maple, the complete dinner service cost me £10 off ebay, a bargain. My Gran had willow pattern, but my Mum replaced it as it held too many memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief Pam, you must have been well pleased to get that for £10.

      Delete
  6. My mum had a thing about dinner/ tea sets etc and would buy a new set at the drop of a hat! We cleared out loads of sets from mum and dads house after they died. I've tried to avoid copying her, even though I'm very tempted to replace my easily chipped wishy washy Johnson Brothers Summer Chintz with something older, with more character............maybe one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you will one day, Sue....you can pick up stuff quite cheaply if you are patient and keep looking.

      Delete
  7. I use a smaller plate, my mum would have called it a breakfast plate, it does help keep my portion sizes down. We always have plain white china.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the smaller plates will help us lose a bit of weight....OH and I both need to.

      Delete
  8. Your crockery cupboard will look very pretty when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well.....the current cupboard (the one we want to rip out) is just functional. But once we manage to get a Welsh dresser, it will indeed look pretty, thank you TA x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!