Thursday, 23 April 2015

Money saving habits

.....well, more a case of trying to acquire some.

As I mentioned before (I think, can't be sure without reading back!), OH reaches retirement age next year and plans to cut back from 4 12-hour shifts to 3 per week....he'll do that for a year, possibly 2, and then cut down again to just 2 12-hour shifts a week.  He plans to retire from work for good at probably age 68.  Our income will drop quite substantially along with his reduced hours, so we need to start planning now for living on a reduced income.

One of the things we've decided to do is to start stocking up on tins and dry goods and toiletries, especially when we see things we normally buy on special offer.  E.g., last week one of the shops had the deodorant we normally buy on offer at less than half price, so I bought 4 of them....wish I'd bought more really, I will do if they're still on offer when I go next.  I must try and get into the mindset of buying stuff like that in bulk when the price is really good.   Oh, and having the money at the time would be useful, too!!

Stocking up like this obviously means we need somewhere to store it all.  We do have what I grandly call a utility room.....in reality, it's a brick built outhouse added at some point some years ago to the side of the kitchen.  It used to house a loo, coal cupboard and bread oven, apparently - they're all long-since gone.  The previous tenant added a load of mismatched wall cupboards and worktops, most of the cupboards are in dire need of remedial work....or preferably dismantling and new ones put up!  My washing machine, tumble drier, spare fridge and 2 freezers (one small upright, plus a small chest freezer that was given to us when somebody was moving home) are all in there.  At the moment, the cupboards house my collection of ornaments and Chinese pottery that I used to collect.....don't really have anywhere to display them and they've been in there since we moved in 2 years ago, so a bit pointless keeping them really!  I'm pretty sure there's nothing 'Antiques Roadshow' valuable, but I suppose we could flog them at a boot sale, if I can bear to part with them.  The point is, it's all taking up valuable cupboard space.  I do store a small amount of tinned and packet foods out there, the tins on a worktop, the packets like flour and sugar in a lidded plastic box.  But if we can clear out the cupboards and OH can fix or do them up, then it would provide lots of useful storage.  Something we need to sort out in the near future.

10 comments:

  1. Cooee - 'tis I! Liking this blog of yours very much, well done for taking the plunge again. I look forward to reading more. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh thank you honey.....and hugs back at you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in Llanelli a couple of weeks ago and had a walk round one of the cheapy shops. Lo and behold my favourite stick deodorant was for sale at £1, much less than half price. There were 17 on the shelf and I had 10, they will last me quite a while. Likewise Mr. T. had my fave coffee at less than half price, I now have 15 jars lined up on top of of my wall cupboards. I will always stock up when I find a bargain as long as I use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was lucky, Pam.....I need to get into the habit of doing this.

      Delete
  4. Well, hello, made it this far, and will have a good read as soon as I get a mo. 3rd attempt to link to your blog worked, I'm pretty useless at this sort of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Jan....not as useless as you thought!

      Delete
  5. Hi Janet! Get your finger out girl...

    Sue, I have just read about pickling leftover vegetables link here -

    http://agirlcalledjack.com/2015/04/23/pickling-leftover-veg/

    I think I might try this as I feel the pickling liquor won't be as aggressive as the commercial stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't suppose it would be as overpowering, TA. Jack does have some good recipes doesn't she?

      Delete
  6. I have a big metal cupboard in the garage, but I am having to use it all up as I don't want to take it when I move, but I will be stocking up again in the new house, it does save alot in the long run, when you buy things on offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does, I must try and do this more often.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!