Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Ice cream and faggots

I picked up a 900g box of strawberries in the supermarket on Monday afternoon, reduced from £3.49 to £1.29, so decided to make ice cream.  The strawbs (well, most of them....a handful found their way into me) got put in the processor and pureed, I added 4 tsp sugar to them as, being foreign ones, they weren't as sweet as they might be.  When I use our own home grown strawbs, I don't add any sugar.  I whisked together a 300ml carton of double cream and a tin of condensed milk, until thick.  The strawberry puree was then mixed in.  Some recipes say to sieve the puree to get rid of the pips, but I don't bother.  I poured the mixture into 2 tubs to freeze, it filled a 1kg butter tub and a 900g ice cream tub.

 
I then made faggots.  I used 500g rindless pork belly slices, about 300g pigs liver and about the same amount of bacon....these got whizzed up in the processor until minced.  I scraped it all into a large bowl and added 1 tsp mace, some chopped sage and salt & pepper.  I made up half of a 170g pack of sage & onion stuffing with water, the rest I used dry, adding all this to the bowl.  It's then a case of mixing it all together thoroughly.....I use my hands for this.  It's a messy job and not one for the faint-hearted or squeamish (but then if you were that way inclined, you'd probably not be eating faggots!).

I formed them into balls (mine were about Satsuma-sized) and then rolled in a plate of flour.  I put them all in a large roasting tin and baked them for about 25 mins or so.  Meanwhile, I made about 1.5 litres of onion gravy....sliced 2 large onions and cooked slowly in a little oil in a large saucepan, until soft and browned....I added a tsp sugar to help them caramelise.  2 tbsp. flour stirred in and cooked off for a minute, then the stock added - I made it with a couple of beef stock cubes, heaped dsp yeast extract, big squirt of tomato puree and slosh of Worcester sauce.  Poured the stock into the roasting tin and back in the oven for another 30 mins or so.  I portion them up with some gravy when cool, in those tin foil dishes with lids, then freeze.  I made 13 huge faggots out of this quantity, there could of course be more if you made them smaller.  I have one, husband has two, we have them with mash and peas usually.

The before and after pics:-

 

17 comments:

  1. Can't beat a faggot on a cool, blustery day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't! Although stew & dumplings might do it....

      Delete
  2. I have written down the ice cream recipe, will give it a go, thanks for sharing, me and hubby would eat faggots but teenage wouldn't. They do look lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could tell the teen they're just large meatballs...

      Delete
  3. The faggots look yummy. If I didn't tell Mr D what was in them he'd eat them, but he is squeamish. Of course with three veggies in the house, I may have to wait until next year to make them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be awkward having to cater for different tastes....luckily I don't have that problem. OH will eat anything I cook.

      Delete
  4. I bought Brains faggots a while ago as I remember them from childhood, but have to say, didn't like them then, didn't like them now, texture was awful. I like the sound of your recipe though Sue, and might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Brains ones have changed beyond all recognition, they're just yuck now.

      Delete
  5. I love faggots and now that I have another freezer I have to get cracking and make a batch. The ice cream sound delicious and I will be keeping my eyes open for strawberries when I shop, mine will not be too much longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ice cream is almost too delicious, Pam....

      Delete
  6. I thought for a minute that was a new way of eating faggots :-).
    I like faggots but liver doesn't like me,
    Mmmmm Strawberry Ice cream -Yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice cream and faggots together.....well, there's no accounting for taste!

      Delete
  7. I love faggotts the real ones made by the butcher, but sadly no one else will look at them. I get a few when I come home to Somerset from the butchers in my childhood village.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That ice cream sounds lovely and a very easy will make a note of it for when we have visitors :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love faggots, we used to have the Brains ones but they are totally disgusting nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the ice cream recipe, I am addicted to strawberries !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!