Saturday, 25 April 2015

Furnishing the house

Firstly, welcome to new followers Janice, Pam Ingham and Wean, lovely to have followers in my first week!

We will, hopefully, be living in this house for the foreseeable future.....the farm landlords like to have long-term tenants (the previous tenant lived here for more than 30 years).  The landlords are also very easy-going about anything we want to do to the house.....within reason, of course.  Their philosophy seems to be that it's our home, so we can choose to make it as homely as we like.  And of course, any improvements we make can only benefit the landlords as well as ourselves.  We're not doing anything drastic, but there are a few things we want to change.

The previous tenant had a new kitchen fitted - not to my taste, but perfectly ok and functional, we don't intend to change that.  However, he also built a cupboard and worktop himself, with a shop-bought wall cupboard with glass doors above, in the dining room.....I think it's supposed to be an imitation of a Welsh dresser.  The base cupboard is not particularly attractive and we want rid of it.

 
 
 
OH is going to rip it out, making good the floor and wall as necessary.  We're looking for a nice second hand Welsh dresser, or possibly a sideboard, in solid wood to replace it....I keep all my crockery in there and some kitchen equipment on top, so need a replacement.

I'd been looking for an oval drop-leaf gate-legged dining table for about a year, we finally found one at an antiques and vintage fair a couple of months ago.


After some haggling with the seller, we got it at an amazingly good price.  It's solid oak and has been lovingly restored, the top has been sanded and waxed, the legs painted with vintage cream eggshell, I just love it.  Now we're after some chairs to go with it.....we're off to another vintage market and boot sale tomorrow, so you never know!

17 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed that you find your chairs, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started looking around for a rural property to rent. It could take a while ... !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were very lucky....this place virtually fell into our laps through a chance remark husband made to a work colleague.

      Delete
  3. I quite look the doors of the 'dresser' Sue, but see your point, I would have loved one when we did out kitchen, but ended up with fitted units below and full length wooden shelves above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, the doors are the best thing about it.....the rest of it is all mismatched wood/chipboard and not in very good condition. I bet your shelves look good.

      Delete
  4. Hi, found your blog via another and enjoying what is happening so far. I was in a charity shop in Kidderminster some time ago and they were inundated with welsh Dressers, corner oak units and tables and chairs. All good solid wood I said to hubby how I wish we could have found such bargains when we were starting out all those years ago. Have you always lived in Somerset and rented privately or are you there to see if you like it? Sorry if this sounds nosy, just interested how people come to the decisions to move to a more rural area. I would love to live nearer to the coast, hubby has retired but I still have a little while to go yet. Need to make right decisions as I could not cope with moving again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, we've lived here 5 years and love it. I'll do a blog post about how we came to be here soon.

      Delete
  5. I like your table very much, the cupboard - not so much. I hope you find your chairs and dresser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TA.....I'm sure we'll find them sooner or later.

      Delete
  6. Lots of lovely dressers and sideboards here at silly prices. Once I get the hang of pictures I will some piccies of my bargains on my blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do, I'd like to see them, Aly

      Delete
  7. Lovely to find your blog. I used to call my husband "Him Outside" when I first started my blog but after he had heart problems he wasn't outside so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found me....another Sue! I remember reading about your husband's heart problems.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!