Tuesday, 28 April 2015

Firstly, another 10 or so people have become followers, so a big welcome and thank you to you all, I'm quite surprised.  I started this blog partly because I like writing (I did a creative writing course in another life a long time ago), but mostly as a way of consolidating all the ideas and plans we have for our life here, and documenting how we get on.  I didn't really expect it to be that interesting to anyone else and am amazed (and quite overwhelmed) by the amount of followers, lovely comments and well over a thousand page views I've had since starting just over a week ago.  It seems I have readers in 8 or 9 different countries(!!) too....how does that happen?!  Thank you all so much.

Yesterday we went to Burnham on Sea for a look round the charity shops.....there are 8 or 10 I think, including a couple which do furniture.  Well, in the very first one, we found the chairs we've been looking for to go with our new (to us) dining table.....4 lovely old oak chairs in very good condition.  They've been varnished at some time in their lives....OH is going to strip off the varnish and sand them down, then I'm probably going to paint them in antique cream, to match the table legs.  We got them for the bargain price of £26.99 for the four!  I'm so pleased with them.....that's another item we can cross off our list.

 

Apologies, by the way, for the poor quality of the photos on my blog....I only take pics with my phone, and I'm no photographer!

OH is out in the garage right now, starting to strip the varnish off the chairs, so hopefully I should be able to make a start on painting them in a couple of days.  We popped into the diy store and bought a tin of antique-style eggshell paint in cream.

Whilst he's doing that, I'm off to the kitchen to make faggots and strawberry icecream.....I'll post pics and the recipe tomorrow.

14 comments:

  1. Wow they are lovely chairs, would love to see after the transformation.A really good bargain x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll post the after pics when done

      Delete
  2. Brilliant purchase cant wait to see results

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shape of the middle bit of the back - which has a proper name that I can't remember! It reminds me of a Welsh Love Spoon.
    I'm glad that you have lots of new readers and followers - The power of getting mentioned on a blog with lots of readers - just blowing my own trumpet here!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, can see what you mean about the Welsh Love Spoon. Yes, thank you for the mention, Pam mentioned me on her blog too.

      Delete
  4. As Sue says, once you get a mention or leave a comment other readers click over to have a look and you are off. When ever I stumble upon a blog that I like I mention it on my blog, it is good to share. The chairs will be great once they are finished and wew a very good price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam, yes they were such a bargain.

      Delete
  5. Chairs are lovely. Each year I export my post into a book and print it out, I have done it from the beginning of my blog, it's great fun to get the books out and see what I was saying at any given time. If you click on books on my blog you will see my post regarding them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea Marlene, I'll have a read about it on your blog.

      Delete
  6. I do like your chairs though I would need to have a cushion to sit on (having such a tender derrière). You dining suite will look lovely when done.

    I like Marlene's idea of printing your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toni, I intend to have some nice cushion pads on the seats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I love your bargain chairs and are very similar to the ones I brought in a charity shop some years ago, mine are made by Ercol I wonder if yours are made by them.

    I like the idea of turning your posts into a book.

    Enjoy the day,
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Burnham on sea, great chairs. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love reading them!